Oct 23, 2012, 5:40 AM EDT
Giants 9, Cardinals 0: Baseball rope-a-dope? The Giants just can’t be bothered until an elimination game? A Cardinal choke? An 88-win team finally showing why it only won 88 games? A Giants pitching staff showing everyone that they are the deepest and best in the game? I guess there is some truth in all of that. Whatever you credit for the outcome of the series, however, this Game 7 was an obliteration and it probably will stick with St. Louis for a long, long time.
For now it doesn’t matter, however, as the Giants are NL Champs and the Cardinals are going home to St. Louis, their ascent stalled one win short of the World Series for three straight games. San Francisco will face Detroit. The matchup, on paper, looks excellent. A matchup of two teams with a long and rich history yet who have never faced one another in a World Series. Two great pitching staffs. Two likely MVP winners. Bring. It. On.
I’ll be getting on a plane for San Francisco later this morning where, for the first time, HBT will be giving you on-site coverage of the Fall Classic. Not that I’m gonna stop talking about Batman and bourbon and stuff. I’ll just be doing it from the World Series. Hope you come along for the ride.
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 14
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 75
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)