Oct 23, 2012, 5:40 AM EST
Giants 9, Cardinals 0: Baseball rope-a-dope? The Giants just can’t be bothered until an elimination game? A Cardinal choke? An 88-win team finally showing why it only won 88 games? A Giants pitching staff showing everyone that they are the deepest and best in the game? I guess there is some truth in all of that. Whatever you credit for the outcome of the series, however, this Game 7 was an obliteration and it probably will stick with St. Louis for a long, long time.
For now it doesn’t matter, however, as the Giants are NL Champs and the Cardinals are going home to St. Louis, their ascent stalled one win short of the World Series for three straight games. San Francisco will face Detroit. The matchup, on paper, looks excellent. A matchup of two teams with a long and rich history yet who have never faced one another in a World Series. Two great pitching staffs. Two likely MVP winners. Bring. It. On.
I’ll be getting on a plane for San Francisco later this morning where, for the first time, HBT will be giving you on-site coverage of the Fall Classic. Not that I’m gonna stop talking about Batman and bourbon and stuff. I’ll just be doing it from the World Series. Hope you come along for the ride.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)