David Ortiz “finalizing” two-year contract with Red Sox

Oct 23, 2012, 2:10 PM EDT

David Ortiz Getty Images

David Ortiz was optimistic about his chances of re-signing with the Red Sox and sure enough Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston reports that the two sides are “finalizing” a two-year contract.

No word yet on the money involved, but a mulit-year deal is a win for Ortiz considering he’s a 36-year-old designated hitter coming off an Achilles’ tendon injury that cost him essentially the entire second half. He played last season on a one-year, $14.58 million deal and hit .318 with 23 homers and 26 doubles in 90 games for his first OPS above 1.000 since 2007.

According to Edes the Red Sox hope to announce the deal by the end of this week and Ortiz is “believed to be seeking” around $25 million.

1. pinkfloydprism - Oct 23, 2012 at 2:19 PM

For all the complaining he did about the management, I am surprised that he actually wants to be back there. If I were him, I would have looked elsewhere. Unless no one wanted him, of course.

2. belichickrulz - Oct 23, 2012 at 2:23 PM

How does this in any way help the Red Sox rebuild? Cherington is turning out to be just as bad as post-2007 Epstein.

• hammyofdoom - Oct 23, 2012 at 2:37 PM

It is one player for about 13 million dollars a year. How is this turning out as bad as 6-7-8 year contracts north of 120 million dollars? The Red Sox have next to no money being paid for 2015 and beyond and thats what important. It is a short term deal at a position with absolutely zero change of blocking a young talent, it is essentially a zero risk move

• hammyofdoom - Oct 23, 2012 at 2:38 PM

UGH zero “CHANCE” not change

• belichickrulz - Oct 23, 2012 at 3:16 PM

It all starts with overpaying one prima donna. Add this to hiring the wrong manager and 2011 may not look so bad.

3. lewp - Oct 23, 2012 at 3:06 PM

I wonder what this does in terms of the Red Sox and the Josh Hamilton relationship, if any?

4. richwizl - Oct 23, 2012 at 3:14 PM

I’m quite surprised by this, but will be pleased if Ortiz stays; he is one awesome dude.

5. edelmanfanclub - Oct 23, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Look at it this way. Ortiz is more valuable to the red sox than he is anywhere else. He wouldn’t have got gotten that money elsewhere but for boston to give it to him its not a bad deal for them. This is a good first signing of he John Farrell era. I hope Papi retires a red sox.

• garylanglais - Oct 23, 2012 at 6:20 PM

I hate the “Ortiz is more valuable to the Red Sox than anywhere else” argument. Why? Because he appeals to the fans? Allows the team to sell more tickets and merchandise? Gives them a face to put with promotions? This is the BS I hope the organization is getting away from. Call me crazy but let’s put the focus back on on-field value. A 36 year old DH recovering from an Achilles injury is not a good start.

Oh and he cant field which works great with the Astros coming to the AL meaning more interleague games.

• edelmanfanclub - Oct 24, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Hes more valuable because the DH is used more as a rotation these days… The Red Sox however have had a true DH since 2003 which is Ortiz…Hes more valuable to us because he’s less valuable to other teams, and the only other teams that would pursue him are in the AL. Maybe Cleveland but besides that, I can only see Boston.

• garylanglais - Oct 24, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Well if any team wanted to pay a DH $10m+ a year than they likely wouldnt have a rotation at DH like the Red Sox do. Sure the Red Sox have had the best DH for the better part of a decade now but they’ve had to pay for it too

6. mississippimusicman - Oct 23, 2012 at 3:22 PM

I know he can rake, but it’s still an insane amount of money for half a ballplayer.

7. randygnyc - Oct 23, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Hammyofdoom is correct. Really low risk move, even for 25 million. His production, even if it goes down a bit, will still be worth it. Of course, this would require that his Achilles remains intact. Ultimately, it’s only 2 years and doesn’t impact the growth for any position players.

• hammyofdoom - Oct 23, 2012 at 6:45 PM

I appreciate you agreeing with me. It is such a silly thing, they don’t have other aging players to cycle around in the DH spot and it’s the second-most short term a deal could possibly get so what is the big loss?

8. sdelmonte - Oct 23, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Remember when we all thought he was washed up? He might not be worth the $$$, but I like that he fought his way back to being a good player.

• okwhitefalcon - Oct 23, 2012 at 5:19 PM

He’s a good hitter, not a player.

• mississippimusicman - Oct 23, 2012 at 5:49 PM

My point exactly.

9. bills4 - Oct 23, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Thank god! Get the deal done!

10. j0esixpack - Oct 23, 2012 at 10:04 PM

From a strict baseball standpoint they’re overpaying (though nowhere near what the Yankees overpaid for A-Rod)

But from a team standpoint retaining Ortiz gives them a positive locker room presence to set the right tone and keep guys pulling together

It’d be money well spent… Just as long as its not the ONLY money spent this offseason

11. airedale1950 - Oct 23, 2012 at 10:30 PM

This Benedict Arnold had to sign here, the Sox are the only club desperate enough to sign an aging cry baby with imaginary injury syndrome, who does nothing more than piss and moan about his sad woe is me life in Boston….and his employers… for 2 years @$25M.

hey boss…I hate you, you dirty ba&*#ard, and OH!, I need a raise too you cheap s.o.b.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey