Oct 23, 2012, 12:37 AM EDT
With plenty of time to set things up, the Tigers have already announced their rotation for the World Series (Justin Verlander, Doug Fister, Anibal Sanchez and then Max Scherzer). The Giants have some decisions to make.
Here’s one guess at how it could go:
Game 6: Wednesday – Ryan Vogelsong – five days’ rest
Game 7: Thursday – Matt Cain – four days’ rest
By starting Vogelsong in Game 2, the Giants would essentially be making the same compromise the Yankees did in the ALCS; it’s the one way to guarantee that the team’s top two starters would get to pitch twice apiece in a seven-game series. And as disastrous as the ALCS was the Yankees, the decision to start Hiroki Kuroda on three days’ rest in Game 2 actually worked out quite well, as he was brilliant in a losing cause.
The alternative for the Giants would be to start Lincecum or Madison Bumgarner in Game 2. Vogelsong would most likely start Game 4 in that scenario. It’d be his only start of the series unless the Giants elected to bring back both he and Cain on short rest for the final two games.
- Today is the Sox’ annual Patriot’s Day game. It’s more significant now than ever. 11
- Boswell: “Harper may be the Nats’ seventh-best player” 52
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 71
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 10
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 179
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (249)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (179)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (113)