Oct 23, 2012, 12:37 AM EDT
With plenty of time to set things up, the Tigers have already announced their rotation for the World Series (Justin Verlander, Doug Fister, Anibal Sanchez and then Max Scherzer). The Giants have some decisions to make.
Here’s one guess at how it could go:
Game 6: Wednesday – Ryan Vogelsong – five days’ rest
Game 7: Thursday – Matt Cain – four days’ rest
By starting Vogelsong in Game 2, the Giants would essentially be making the same compromise the Yankees did in the ALCS; it’s the one way to guarantee that the team’s top two starters would get to pitch twice apiece in a seven-game series. And as disastrous as the ALCS was the Yankees, the decision to start Hiroki Kuroda on three days’ rest in Game 2 actually worked out quite well, as he was brilliant in a losing cause.
The alternative for the Giants would be to start Lincecum or Madison Bumgarner in Game 2. Vogelsong would most likely start Game 4 in that scenario. It’d be his only start of the series unless the Giants elected to bring back both he and Cain on short rest for the final two games.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 1
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 29
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)