Oct 23, 2012, 12:37 AM EDT
With plenty of time to set things up, the Tigers have already announced their rotation for the World Series (Justin Verlander, Doug Fister, Anibal Sanchez and then Max Scherzer). The Giants have some decisions to make.
Here’s one guess at how it could go:
Game 6: Wednesday – Ryan Vogelsong – five days’ rest
Game 7: Thursday – Matt Cain – four days’ rest
By starting Vogelsong in Game 2, the Giants would essentially be making the same compromise the Yankees did in the ALCS; it’s the one way to guarantee that the team’s top two starters would get to pitch twice apiece in a seven-game series. And as disastrous as the ALCS was the Yankees, the decision to start Hiroki Kuroda on three days’ rest in Game 2 actually worked out quite well, as he was brilliant in a losing cause.
The alternative for the Giants would be to start Lincecum or Madison Bumgarner in Game 2. Vogelsong would most likely start Game 4 in that scenario. It’d be his only start of the series unless the Giants elected to bring back both he and Cain on short rest for the final two games.
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 0
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 4
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (127)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)