Lance Berkman: “the AL is Mickey Mouse”

Oct 23, 2012, 8:23 AM EDT

berkman getty Getty Images

A day after saying that the Cardinals lineup was more dangerous than the Giants, Lance Berkman wades back into analysis.

His initial take: that the Tigers should be favored because their rotation is set up while Cain and Vogelsong won’t get to pitch until the series goes back to Detroit and they have to face a DH. He doesn’t mention that the DH is probably Delmon Young, but that’s a minor detail.

About DHs in general, though:

Berkman has spent all but three months of his career in the NL. He played three months for the Yankees in 2010.

“It only cemented my opinion that the AL is Mickey Mouse and the National League is real baseball,” he said. “I hate the DH, even though it might prolong my career.”

I like to note these things because (a) while I wouldn’t go as far as Berkman does here I do prefer NL baseball; and (b) I also realize that, within the next 15-20 years or so, MLB is probably going to put the DH in the NL too, and I’d like to save this sort of stuff for posterity.

130 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. adm272012 - Oct 23, 2012 at 1:01 PM

To ceaderman, remind me if u can where did Bonds, Sosa, and McGuire play? I would argue that the roids made it so they could still play the field and not get hurt

2. megl3155 - Oct 24, 2012 at 9:38 AM

It’s only Mickey Mouse because Berkman couldn’t hang.

3. bradleeygalindo22 - Oct 25, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Here’s a stat. The giants starting pitchers have an RBI base hit in four consecutive playoff games… Who wants to watch a .090 pitcher help themselves out? Quit being a bi*ch, pick up a bat and take a swing. You never know what could happen. Like Wayne Gretzky said, “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.”

4. anxovies - Oct 25, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Mickey must have had a really good slider. The Yanks got Berkman in 2010 to give them a switch hitting DH with power for the pennant chase. He hit 1 HR in 123 appearances and had a .349 SLG% in the Mickey Mouse AL. The same year he had 13 HR at Houston. A slight pause for reflection before you open your mouth is always a good thing.

5. don444 - Oct 26, 2012 at 1:37 PM

That’s his opinion and he’s entitled to it i suppose. I grew up on AL baseball and STRONGLY prefer it to the NL’s damn-hurry-up-and-score-before-the-pitcher-is-due-up version. While always possible in theory, the idea that the NL will eventually have the DH crammed down its throat is a tired notion that’s been out there practically since the DHs inception and is still sketchy at best even 40 years into the experiment. Besides, with all due respect to the once spectacular and now injury-prone Berkman, never trust or take seriously a guy imbued with nothing but girl sperm as that’s the very height of lameness and inadequacy in any man (his well documented holy roller rantings are no grand endorsement of his wider views either).

Final take away from World Series