Oct 23, 2012, 12:00 AM EDT
Who else were you expecting?
The Giants defeated the Cardinals 9-0 in Game 7 of the NLCS tonight and the MVP of the series was a pretty easy call.
Marco Scutaro, who managed to stay in the lineup after Matt Holliday‘s takeout slide in Game 2, was named the MVP after hitting a scorching .500 (14-for-28) with three doubles, two RBI, two walks and five runs scored during the series. His 14 hits tie him with Hideki Matsui (2004), Albert Pujols (2004) and Kevin Youkilis (2007) for the LCS record.
Scutaro went 3-for-4 with a walk and a run scored in Game 7 tonight. Catching the final out of the ballgame — a pop-up off the bat of Holliday, appropriately enough — on a soaking wet infield at AT&T Park was just icing on the cake.
Referred to as “The Blockbuster” by his Giants’ teammates for his excellent play since coming over from the Rockies in July, Scutaro has a 10-game hitting streak during the postseason.
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 0
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 40
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 49
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 29
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 91
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (93)