Marco Scutaro named NLCS MVP

Oct 23, 2012, 12:00 AM EDT

Marco Scutaro Reuters Reuters

Who else were you expecting?

The Giants defeated the Cardinals 9-0 in Game 7 of the NLCS tonight and the MVP of the series was a pretty easy call.

Marco Scutaro, who managed to stay in the lineup after Matt Holliday‘s takeout slide in Game 2, was named the MVP after hitting a scorching .500 (14-for-28) with three doubles, two RBI, two walks and five runs scored during the series. His 14 hits tie him with Hideki Matsui (2004), Albert Pujols (2004) and Kevin Youkilis (2007) for the LCS record.

Scutaro went 3-for-4 with a walk and a run scored in Game 7 tonight. Catching the final out of the ballgame — a pop-up off the bat of Holliday, appropriately enough — on a soaking wet infield at AT&T Park was just icing on the cake.

Referred to as “The Blockbuster” by his Giants’ teammates for his excellent play since coming over from the Rockies in July, Scutaro has a 10-game hitting streak during the postseason.

1. sailcat54 - Oct 23, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Congrats, Marco! Well done!

2. rollinghighwayblues - Oct 23, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Right about this time last year I was lambasting the Red Sox for practically giving Scutaro away to the Rockies while a poster on here was lambasting me, calling me crazy because last year was an offensive fluke and an outlying year for the aging Scutaro. Weird how that worked out.

I always get asked who my favorite player is and I instantly say “Marco Scutaro” with a straight face and usually get a puzzled looked from whoever asked.These past couple of months should explain exactly why he is my favorite. Scutaro is an absolute ballplayer in every sense of the word. Congrats.

• tashkalucy - Oct 23, 2012 at 12:41 AM

“I always get asked who my favorite player is…”

Seriously?

How does that work?

Do people come up to you at the mall and say, “hey, who’s your favorite player”? Do they do this at work? On buses? When you’re driving do people roll down their windows at red lights and shout out, “hey, who’s your favorite player”?

This is the sort of intriguing story that Craig Calcaterra went to law school to learn how to do. I hope he does it justice tomorrow!

Hey, what’s your favorite color uniform? Which undershirt do you prefer? Do you think that A-Rod got “the digits”?

• rollinghighwayblues - Oct 23, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Easy. You meet people who enjoy baseball, you start talking baseball, maybe have one or two beers…or eight and then people start reminiscing about their favorite players growing up and that’s how they became the fan they are today and end up asking you who your favorite player is/was.

I really didn’t think it was that complicated.

• tashkalucy - Oct 23, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Oh, so that’s it…….

And to think that America has been falling apart by the day for well over 10 years now.

• cur68 - Oct 23, 2012 at 1:48 AM

tash doesn’t have any friends so he’d never get asked, see. He too busy in the woods working on his ‘manifesto’. Why is it guys working on their manifesto give up soap and water and wonder why no one likes them?

• clydeserra - Oct 23, 2012 at 2:55 PM

or you have kids and that is a topic of conversation

• clydeserra - Oct 23, 2012 at 2:55 PM

I say that, and I am an A’s fan.

3. goawaydog - Oct 23, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Catching Holidays pop up to end the series … Priceless

4. Marty - Oct 23, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Voglesong topped my list but you can argue with Scutaro, especially when the game two drama is accounted for.

5. adeedothatswho - Oct 23, 2012 at 4:55 AM

Scutaro straight Will Clark’ed this series. SEE YOU IN THE WORLD SERIES!!!!

6. richwizl - Oct 23, 2012 at 6:10 AM

Marco was not appreciated nearly enough when he played for Boston. I hated to see him go and I’m really happy for him now. He is a real ball player and a great teammate.

7. gostlcards5 - Oct 23, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Scutaro was awesome. I was torn between Vogelsong and him at the beginning of the game, but after they showed that he had 6 multi-hit games in this NLCS, I figured he had to be it, especially with the excellent defensive plays he made as well.

Well done, Giants. Good luck in the World Series!

8. sabatimus - Oct 23, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Yet another former Sox player doing great with another team. I guess leaving a poisonous environment can be quite liberating.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. M. Cuddyer (3164)