Oct 23, 2012, 3:51 PM EDT
Miami has fired manager Ozzie Guillen less than 12 months after trading two prospects to the White Sox for the right to sign him to a four-year, $10 million contract.
Guillen’s first season with the Marlins was a massive disappointment, as the team followed up an offseason of huge spending and a move into a new ballpark by finishing in last place at 69-93 while the manager made his usual assortment of headlines for all the wrong reasons.
Buster Olney of ESPN.com reported three weeks ago that the Marlins were planning to fire Guillen, but when no move was immediately made there was some speculation that they’d changed their mind.
It seems unlikely that he’ll be able to land another managing gig for 2013, but as Calcaterra wrote last week we can probably pull some strings to get him a job at NBC Sports. Or he could just take some time off after being paid about $150,000 per win. And now the Marlins are looking for their fifth manager since 2010, suggesting maybe–just maybe!–the guy writing out the lineup card isn’t the biggest problem.
UPDATE: Not surprisingly Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that Guillen’s longtime right-hand man, bench coach Joey Cora, was also fired.
UPDATE #2: Guillen’s son, Oney Guillen, checks in via Twitter with some very accurate analysis.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 48
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)