Marlins fire Ozzie Guillen after one last-place season

Oct 23, 2012, 3:51 PM EDT

Ozzie Guillen AP

Miami has fired manager Ozzie Guillen less than 12 months after trading two prospects to the White Sox for the right to sign him to a four-year, $10 million contract.

Guillen’s first season with the Marlins was a massive disappointment, as the team followed up an offseason of huge spending and a move into a new ballpark by finishing in last place at 69-93 while the manager made his usual assortment of headlines for all the wrong reasons.

Buster Olney of ESPN.com reported three weeks ago that the Marlins were planning to fire Guillen, but when no move was immediately made there was some speculation that they’d changed their mind.

It seems unlikely that he’ll be able to land another managing gig for 2013, but as Calcaterra wrote last week we can probably pull some strings to get him a job at NBC Sports. Or he could just take some time off after being paid about $150,000 per win. And now the Marlins are looking for their fifth manager since 2010, suggesting maybe–just maybe!–the guy writing out the lineup card isn’t the biggest problem.

UPDATE: Not surprisingly Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that Guillen’s longtime right-hand man, bench coach Joey Cora, was also fired.

UPDATE #2: Guillen’s son, Oney Guillen, checks in via Twitter with some very accurate analysis.

1. docloren - Oct 23, 2012 at 8:48 PM

The Feesh need to determine which guy on Joe Maddon’s staff is ready to manage and hire him.

• Old Gator - Oct 24, 2012 at 12:43 PM

The guy on Joe Maddon’s staff who determines himself ready to manage ought to arrange to have his cellphone temporarily disconnected until he reads that the Feesh have hired someone else.

2. protius - Oct 23, 2012 at 11:10 PM

I would pay good money to watch Ozzie Guillen and Freddy Garcia play the two grave diggers in Act V, scene i in Kenneth Branagh’s adaptation of Shakespeare’s Hamlet.

While digging Ophelia’s grave, Ozzie is singing to himself:

In youth when I did love, did love,
    Methought it was very sweet
    To contract–o–the time, for–a–my behove,
    Oh, methought, there–a–was nothing–a–meet.

And Freddy replies to him:

But age with his stealing steps
    Hath clawed me in his clutch,
    And hath shipped me into the land
    As if I had never been such.
    (He then uncovers a skull, and throws it up and out of the grave.)

Hamlet, played by Hideki Matsui and Horatio, played by Hiroki Kuroda enter scene right;

Matsui, looking down at the skull of the jester in his hands, begins speaking:

Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio; a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy; he hath borne me on his back a thousand times; and now, how abhorred in my imagination it is! My gorge rises at it. Here hung those lips that I have kissed I know not how oft.

3. mottershead1972 - Oct 23, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Ozzie is a dumpster fire

4. scratchnsniffnblog - Oct 24, 2012 at 12:25 AM

I’m sending the Feesh a computer team management program. It will automatically fill out and post a lineup card, message the bullpen with timely pitching changes, spit out generic answers at press conferences, and send random compliments to ownership.

I give it 8 months before Loria fires it, and replaces it with a homeless person from Boca.

(I know they don’t exist, but neither does Loria’s ideal manager)

5. thejotapee - Oct 24, 2012 at 7:31 AM

They need to change everything! Forget this season ever happened. Start with the hideous uniforms and go back to black and teal. Add pink (no homo) if you want a Miami Vice look, I don’t even care, at least those 3 colors fit well together. And get rid of that stupid home run sculpture in centerfield, its ridiculous. I went to 20 games this year and only saw it go off once! except Stanton, no one can hit a HR in this freaking ballpark! they should call it the Stanton memorial. This team is a mess from top to bottom. They need changes in the front office more than anything going on in the dugout. And I wouldn’t mind a change in ownership either.

Jeffery Loria! #FireYourself

6. leerosenthall - Oct 24, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Lord, between the Red Sox and the Marlins, it’s hard to decide which franchise is more embarrassing.

• Old Gator - Oct 24, 2012 at 12:42 PM

In balance, I think you have to award that particular booby prize to the Beanbags. You can’t compare the way they fired Slobbering Ozzie to the vomit of “anonymous” vituperation they heaped on the outgoing Terry Francona, who was and is a class act who had become far too good for the likes of his employers. Not even close.

7. fuddpucker - Oct 24, 2012 at 12:02 PM

I think Ozzie was gone when he made those pro-cuban remarks earlier this year. I mean, management must have quickly realized that they had a dummy on their hands, a dummy that would insult half their fan base.

8. mackie66 - Oct 24, 2012 at 9:17 PM

What a side show.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3792)