Oct 23, 2012, 8:03 PM EST
Owings threw only 9 2/3 innings this season for San Diego before requiring surgery on his right elbow. He should be recovered from that procedure by the start of spring training next February, but the rehab and his lack of recent success will likely result in the 30-year-old from Georgia having to settle for a non-guaranteed minor league contract from some team this winter.
Owings spoke in July about wanting to focus more on hitting than pitching, but it’s not clear what his future plans are in that regard. The former third-round pick of the D’Backs owns a respectable .813 career OPS.
- Shin-Soo Choo agrees to seven-year, $130 million deal with Rangers 12
- Grant Balfour may file a grievance over Orioles’ decision to back out of contract 22
- Former Major Leaguer Gabe Kapler wants collisions to remain part of the game 39
- Carlos Beltran introduced by the Yankees, takes a shot at the Mets 38
- The Grant Balfour-Orioles deal is dead 25
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- I don’t know what the best baseball song is, but it ain’t John freakin’ Fogerty (101)
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! (89)
- ‘Tis the season for people acting incredibly dumb (74)
- The Yankees agree to a one-year, $2 million deal with Brian Roberts (74)