Oct 23, 2012, 8:03 PM EDT
Owings threw only 9 2/3 innings this season for San Diego before requiring surgery on his right elbow. He should be recovered from that procedure by the start of spring training next February, but the rehab and his lack of recent success will likely result in the 30-year-old from Georgia having to settle for a non-guaranteed minor league contract from some team this winter.
Owings spoke in July about wanting to focus more on hitting than pitching, but it’s not clear what his future plans are in that regard. The former third-round pick of the D’Backs owns a respectable .813 career OPS.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 3
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 5
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)