Oct 24, 2012, 7:22 PM EST
Giants backup catcher Hector Sanchez made one start in the NLDS against the Reds and another in the NLCS versus the Cardinals. But the 22-year-old is unlikely to catch at all during the World Series.
Giants manager Bruce Bochy told Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle on Wednesday that Buster Posey will do “all the catching” throughout the Fall Classic. Sanchez could get a few looks at DH once the series shifts to Detroit, but he won’t be behind the plate unless there’s an emergency.
Posey, 25, batted .336/.408/.549 with 24 home runs and 103 RBI during the regular season. The likely National League MVP is hitting .178/.288/.311 with two homers and six RBI so far in the postseason.
Sanchez had a .280/.295/.390 slash line during the regular season and is 1-for-7 in these playoffs.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 7
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 276
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (276)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)