Giants capture Game 1 of World Series from Tigers behind Pablo Sandoval, Barry Zito

Oct 24, 2012, 11:36 PM EDT

World Series - Detroit Tigers v San Francisco Giants - Game 1 Getty Images

Pablo Sandoval went 4-for-4 with three home runs and Barry Zito yielded just one earned run in 5 2/3 innings as the Giants rocked and rolled to an 8-3 victory over the Tigers in Game 1 of the World Series on Wednesday evening in San Francisco.

Sandoval smashed a solo shot to right-center field in the bottom of the first inning, a two-run homer to left field in the bottom of the third and another solo bomb to right-center in the bottom of the fifth. He’s just the fourth player to homer three times in a World Series game — joining Babe Ruth, Reggie Jackson and Albert Pujols — and his three-homer performance was only the second such feat in the 12-year history of AT&T Park (regular season games included).

This from a guy who had just 12 regular-season home runs this year and a mediocre .812 career postseason OPS before the night began. Sandoval is now batting .270/.386/.778 in these 2012 playoffs.

The Tigers, meanwhile, couldn’t figure out Zito and had an even tougher time against Tim Lincecum, who struck out five of the seven batters he faced in relief while surrendering no hits and zero walks.

Detroit starter Justin Verlander entered his Game 1 outing boasting a 0.74 ERA in 24-plus innings this postseason, but he was lifted in the top of the fifth inning after giving up five earned runs on six hits.

The Giants will look to go up 2-0 on Thursday night when Madison Bumgarner faces Doug Fister.

1. groundruledoublebourbon - Oct 24, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Baseball had many millions more viewers tonight than football. Football is dead, right?

2. Hunter Pence's Eyes - Oct 24, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Beautiful!

3. shaggytoodle - Oct 24, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Congrats, I think Verlander was thrown off by the meeting at the mound before letting that inning go. I saw the guy walking out there and I said to myself what is he walking out there for. Verlander even said that to him, “what are you diong out here” I believe he wanted to settle down, and he wasn’t able to due to it. Maybe it was the butterfiles of the WS. I honestly don’t know. I don’t care who wins as long as its a good series. Hopefully the next game is more interesting.

• protius - Oct 24, 2012 at 11:58 PM

I think Verlander was thrown off by the size of his head on the mound. Did you see that thing; it was the size of a 16″ beach ball?

He needs to come back down to earth for a dose of reality, and penicillin.

• shaggytoodle - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:01 AM

He is human, he had a few bad pitches before the meeting at the mound and fell apart after it.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:08 AM

You really are a full fledged Penis Head. You realize that don’t you?

• sailcat54 - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Well said, stlouis1baseball.

• TheBlindUmp - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Clearly it was: 1) rust 2) the meeting on the mound (?) 3) honestly don’t know.
      It can’t possibly be the Giants fault. Just listen to McCarver and Buck, it wasn’t the Giants HITTING that knocked Verlander out. He doesn’t have bad nights. Sheesh…That was a 2 game swing from a guarnteed 1-0 Tigers lead to a 1-0 Giants lead IN ONE GAME. GO GIANTS! News at 11: Panda’s are Tiger killers! GO GIANTS!!!!!

• seeingwhatsticks - Oct 25, 2012 at 2:45 AM

By your count EVERY game is a 2 game swing.

4. philliesblow - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:01 AM

I hope one of the Tigers’ fat guys starts hitting like San Fran’s fat guy.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Yeah…but that is one fat guy that can flat out play baseball.
      With the stick…with the glove…Dude brings it.

5. theosmone - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Where I come from a +.800 OPS is very good, not mediocre.

6. whitlockd - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:37 AM

I am a Giants fan and I listened to a lot of national sports talk radio and podcasts today. I only heard one person give the Giants a chance tonight. This win was very, very sweet. I’m looking forward to listening to the backpeddling tomorrow.

• historiophiliac - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Everyone was on the Verlander bandwagon but his raging loss to the Royal kept nagging at me. How soon people forget. Still, that’s one game and if we go to 5, don’t expect V to totally suck again.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 25, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Whitock: I put ZERO stock in the so called “experts” opinions of the outcome of games.
      In fact, it bothers the Hell out of mewhen they pick the Cardinals.
      Especially when all of them do so.
      Case in point:
      Games #5 & #6 in the NLCS. Each guy on MLB TV picked the Cardinals in both games.
      We know how that turned out don’t we? Personally, I want them picking against my team.
      From a recognition standpoint however, I completely understand where you are coming from.
      In a nutshell…you want them to get some love. To Hell with the predictions though.
      Go NL!

7. baymac408 - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Big game Panda monium!!! Lets keep Rollin guys we aren’t done yet!! Beautiful game zito! GO GIANTS

8. whitlockd - Oct 25, 2012 at 1:25 AM

What do you guys think Jeff Kent was watching tonight? He had a horse in two good reality TV shows.

9. kanyong712 - Oct 25, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Giants will lose gm 2 cause of madbum……he has not been great at all in da postseason. Hope he can change it up.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3055)