Oct 24, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Less than half of the Giants’ current roster remains from the team that won the World Series in 2010. There are only 11 holdovers, or 12 if you include Game 1 starter Barry Zito despite his not being on the actual playoff roster in 2010.
Carl Steward of the San Jose Mercury News has the full breakdown, with the biggest additions since 2010 being Ryan Vogelsong, Hunter Pence, Angel Pagan, Brandon Belt, Brandon Crawford, and of course NLCS MVP Marco Scutaro.
Meanwhile, the Tigers actually have three holdovers from the 2006 team that lost in the World Series to the Cardinals: Justin Verlander, Ramon Santiago, and Omar Infante, who left and played for two other teams before coming back in the middle of this season.
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 44
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 74
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 26
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 21
- Kris Medlen expects to have another Tommy John surgery 13
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (98)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)