Oct 24, 2012, 3:03 PM EDT
SAN FRANCISCO — Well, not quite Oakland, but pretty close. My seats in the auxiliary press box for the next two nights:
Not that I’m complaining one bit. The World Series is a hot, hot ticket, and I’m just happy to be here. As of right now, standing room only is going for $300. When I was walking to the park from hotel a little while ago I stopped for a light on the corner of Third and King and two scalpers were complaining that they couldn’t find anything for under $400. Detroit is no different, as I’m told that prices for Saturday’s game are starting at $350 for standing room. I don’t tend to pay too close attention to this sort of thing, but I don’t recall prices being so insane for World Series tickets the past couple of years.
It’s several hours before the game, of course, but the energy here is already building. There are bomb squad dogs sniffing the perimeter of the place and inside people are stocking the luxury boxes with candy and goodies and sweets. Lucky SOBs.
I’m going to go bop around, see some sights and get into trouble. Follow me on Twitter at @CraigCalcaterra for random pictures and weirdness not substantial enough for a real post.
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 9
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 29
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 17
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 30
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (96)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)