Greetings from Oakland

Oct 24, 2012, 3:03 PM EST

SAN FRANCISCO — Well, not quite Oakland, but pretty close. My seats in the auxiliary press box for the next two nights:

source:

Not that I’m complaining one bit. The World Series is a hot, hot ticket, and I’m just happy to be here. As of right now, standing room only is going for $300. When I was walking to the park from hotel a little while ago I stopped for a light on the corner of Third and King and two scalpers were complaining that they couldn’t find anything for under $400. Detroit is no different, as I’m told that prices for Saturday’s game are starting at $350 for standing room. I don’t tend to pay too close attention to this sort of thing, but I don’t recall prices being so insane for World Series tickets the past couple of years.

It’s several hours before the game, of course, but the energy here is already building. There are bomb squad dogs sniffing the perimeter of the place and inside people are stocking the luxury boxes with candy and goodies and sweets. Lucky SOBs.

I’m going to go bop around, see some sights and get into trouble.  Follow me on Twitter at @CraigCalcaterra for random pictures and weirdness not substantial enough for a real post.

1. pharmy - Oct 24, 2012 at 3:11 PM

By “see some sights” you clearly mean “go steal the luxury box candy,” right?

2. phipfwe76 - Oct 24, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Can you smell the garlic fries yet??

Mmmmm I miss the ballpark.

• phipfwe76 - Oct 24, 2012 at 3:15 PM

* that ballpark

3. number42is1 - Oct 24, 2012 at 3:21 PM

No pics of gym bags yet? I don’t think that craig is really there

4. clydeserra - Oct 24, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Craig: Please sit in the seats. Its annoying (mildly in the grand scheme of things) to see empty media seats at a sold out event.

5. APBA Guy - Oct 24, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Painful, that headline. The beloved A’s got a sniff, but their owners have much to learn about moving a franchise to the top tier, like SF has done.

• scatterbrian - Oct 24, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Much to learn they still have. Does that mean we should start referring to Wolff as Count Dooku?

• APBA Guy - Oct 24, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Brian-sad to say, I had to look that one up :(.

Appropriate, but obscure, at least for me.

Anyway, have you seen how Jenkins in the Chron is already bludgeoning Wolff/Fisher for doing nothing to capitalize on the good 2012. From his article yesterday:

“(Roger) Craig single-handedly changed the mind-set of a franchise in the mid-1980s, and if A’s owners Lew Wolff and John Fisher had even a hint of creativity, they’d be working on a change-the-mood marketing plan for their treasured team right now. (Thrill, instead, to the sight of them doing nothing.)”

It’s good to see them take heat from the local scribes.That needs to increase.

6. redux23 - Oct 24, 2012 at 4:01 PM

eh ticket prices in sf are actually down quite a bit compared to 2010.

• keepthisrealbro - Oct 25, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Those two who thumbs down the post must have not tried to get tickets. I dumped 500 on SRO in 2010 for game one.

7. brewcrewfan54 - Oct 24, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Go get hammered.

8. daveitsgood - Oct 24, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Craig – there’s a reason that so many Americans who have left this planet (astronauts) came from the same place. The reason is Ohio. You should take note and make the move to California. Plus when Mookie goes to college out here you would be paying in-state rates. just sayin

9. hojo20 - Oct 24, 2012 at 10:35 PM

I’ve sat up there in LF, those seats aren;t bad.

10. moogro - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:23 AM

No basement box seats for you?

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (6264)