Jose Valverde can’t even mop up for the Tigers

Oct 24, 2012, 11:19 PM EST

Jose Valverde AP

After entering with the Tigers down 6-1, embattled ex-closer Jose Valverde retired one of the five Giants he faced in Game 1 of the World Series. He struck out Tim Lincecum before giving up hits to the top four hitters in the San Francisco lineup.

Since Joaquin Benoit bailed him out from there, he was charged with only two runs.

Valverde’s struggles tonight make it likely that the Tigers are going to play the rest of the World Series with a 24-man roster. For all the talk about how he’d fixed his mechanical problem, he’s now given up nine runs and 11 hits over 1 2/3 innings in his last three appearances.

The Tigers could claim that Valverde is hurt and then replace him on the roster. Such a move would be met with skepticism, though, and as loose as MLB tends to be with it’s DL rules, it seems unlikely that the league would just let this one slide.

With Valverde essentially out of the mix, usual No. 5 starter Rick Porcello might get some work in close games during the World Series. He faced just one batter in the Tigers’ first nine postseason games, that coming in the Game 3 loss to the A’s.

1. Marty - Oct 24, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Detroit didn’t look that bad. I think the Giants just looked that good.

• seeingwhatsticks - Oct 25, 2012 at 2:50 AM

I wouldn’t say Detroit didn’t look that bad, but I would say they pretty much looked like who they are (save Verlander). And even in the case of Verlander the guy is human and had some poor starts, or at least poor by his standards. Otherwise we saw a Tigers team that has a bullpen that lacks both quality and quantity, and a team that is not very good defensively under normal circumstances and even worse with Young in LF. Verlander hasn’t pitched in a week, he’s facing a good team that’s on a roll, and he’s doing it in their ballpark. I don’t think anyone saw this type of implosion coming but at the same time I don’t think it was at all realistic to think he was going to pitch a CG SHO. I mean he’s not facing the Royals or the Indians or the Twins here.

2. randygnyc - Oct 24, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Valverde’s failure to regain his own confidence and Leyland’s trust going forward is the best byproduct of game 1. Detroits bullpen is a mess.

• protius - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Ran:

It couldn’t happen to a more deserving guy. When things are going right for him, he likes to show up the other team, now he’s on a down bound train, and he’s feelin’ mighty low.

He’s got to learn about steady state equilibrium psychology. It’ll make him a better man.

• TheBlindUmp - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Valverde’s done for the series. They’re now playing a man short! Just yesterday the Giants didn’t have a chance! Go Giants!

Make no mistake, though, the Tigers are a very good team. The Giants are 1 up. We’ll wait until the games are played to call this. I like our chances…

3. sailcat54 - Oct 24, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Well said. The Tigers are not playing up to their potential while the Giants are playing exactly as they have throughout the post season.

4. Old Gator - Oct 24, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Very bad, but what options did the Tiggers have, really? Melky Cabrera can’t pitch. Twenty four men it is.

• dawgpoundmember - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:02 AM

I may be a tigers bias fan, but I know you are a regular around here, what did you think of the strike zone?

• Old Gator - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:14 AM

It looked to me like both pitchers were given the same zone. I thought maybe the lefthanded batters got a bit more of the inside of the plate to work with, but that may just be that I perceive the spatial relations to the righthanded hitters a little more comfortably because one sees them at the plate so much more often. But I also think Matthew viewed it correctly: Verlander wandered upward a little too often and it cost him.

Zito must be back on his yoga regimen again. He seemed pretty unfazed by the hype and flashbulbs.

• TheBlindUmp - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:28 AM

There’s always got to be the slight against Zito (BZits, yoga, etc.). How about he had a great game?

• Old Gator - Oct 25, 2012 at 9:12 AM

No slight intended, and he’s had several great games now. He had been a devoted practitioner of yoga-based conditioning for a long time and had gotten away from it for a while, parallel with his period of ineffectiveness. It’s always good to see a guy haul himself back to his former levels of excellence after a long season in purgatory.

• protius - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Gator:

Melky Cabrera is an outfielder for the Giants. He’s not eligible to play in this series. Maybe you were thinking of Miggy?

• TheBlindUmp - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Actually, Melky Cabrera was/is eligible. He’s on the 40 man roster, just not selected to be active on the WS team.

• Old Gator - Oct 25, 2012 at 9:08 AM

When I wrote that post, I knew some idiot would miss the irony. I honestly didn’t think it would be you, but then, eternal optimist that I am, I always underestimate your density. Would you mind stepping into this cylinder of salted water for a moment so I can taker an accurate reading for future commentary?

• protius - Oct 25, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Gator:

Spare me your moronic bullshit; there’s no irony there, because you’re not clever enough to write irony. You made an error; man-up and admit it, you drunken bum.

5. dawgpoundmember - Oct 24, 2012 at 11:51 PM

thank you matt for answering my question on how to get a guy off the roster in the world series. dave needs to find something to get villreal instead of valverde on this roster….nevermind tonight, valverde is done……FOR EVER!

6. pisano - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:20 AM

I called this the other day, the Tiger bullpen is shaky at best, although it didn’t come to that tonight, but if and when it comes down to the bullpen, the nod has to go to the Giants. I felt the Giants were underrated coming into this series, but things have a way of turning around quickly.

• TheBlindUmp - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Stick a fork in Valverde, he’s done.

• Old Gator - Oct 25, 2012 at 9:26 AM

You stick the fork in him. I’m just going to step behind this blast wall….

7. sawxalicious - Oct 25, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Valverde looked like 20 lbs if crap in a 10 lb bag….imagine the results if he hadn’t “fixed” his mechanical flaw?

8. hellafiedfc - Oct 25, 2012 at 7:51 AM

“ill be surprised if they dont get swept?”

are you NEW to this baseball thing?

9. pogodog7 - Oct 25, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Valverde’s form is that he is a big fat tub of lard.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester