Oct 24, 2012, 11:19 PM EDT
After entering with the Tigers down 6-1, embattled ex-closer Jose Valverde retired one of the five Giants he faced in Game 1 of the World Series. He struck out Tim Lincecum before giving up hits to the top four hitters in the San Francisco lineup.
Since Joaquin Benoit bailed him out from there, he was charged with only two runs.
Valverde’s struggles tonight make it likely that the Tigers are going to play the rest of the World Series with a 24-man roster. For all the talk about how he’d fixed his mechanical problem, he’s now given up nine runs and 11 hits over 1 2/3 innings in his last three appearances.
The Tigers could claim that Valverde is hurt and then replace him on the roster. Such a move would be met with skepticism, though, and as loose as MLB tends to be with it’s DL rules, it seems unlikely that the league would just let this one slide.
With Valverde essentially out of the mix, usual No. 5 starter Rick Porcello might get some work in close games during the World Series. He faced just one batter in the Tigers’ first nine postseason games, that coming in the Game 3 loss to the A’s.
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 40
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 60
- Who really owns a home run ball? 63
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 128
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (129)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)