Oct 24, 2012, 11:19 PM EDT
After entering with the Tigers down 6-1, embattled ex-closer Jose Valverde retired one of the five Giants he faced in Game 1 of the World Series. He struck out Tim Lincecum before giving up hits to the top four hitters in the San Francisco lineup.
Since Joaquin Benoit bailed him out from there, he was charged with only two runs.
Valverde’s struggles tonight make it likely that the Tigers are going to play the rest of the World Series with a 24-man roster. For all the talk about how he’d fixed his mechanical problem, he’s now given up nine runs and 11 hits over 1 2/3 innings in his last three appearances.
The Tigers could claim that Valverde is hurt and then replace him on the roster. Such a move would be met with skepticism, though, and as loose as MLB tends to be with it’s DL rules, it seems unlikely that the league would just let this one slide.
With Valverde essentially out of the mix, usual No. 5 starter Rick Porcello might get some work in close games during the World Series. He faced just one batter in the Tigers’ first nine postseason games, that coming in the Game 3 loss to the A’s.
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. 74
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)