Oct 24, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Cabrera’s exclusion was all but given considering the team’s comments about the situation for the past several weeks, but there was some speculation that San Francisco might add a third catcher in Eli Whiteside.
Cabrera was eligible to return from his 50-game steroid suspension for the NLCS, but the Giants stuck with Gregor Blanco as their starting left fielder. Blanco is never going to equal Cabrera’s lofty .346 batting average during the regular season, but he has gotten on base at a .364 clip during the playoffs.
Still, it’s hard to think that the Giants wouldn’t be better off with Cabrera on the roster, if only as a bench bat.
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 55
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 22
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 139
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 133
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 36
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (139)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (133)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)