Pablo Sandoval homers a third time in World Series Game 1

Oct 24, 2012, 10:09 PM EDT

sandoval getty Getty Images

Babe Ruth. Reggie Jackson. Albert Pujols.

Those were the only players to homer three times in a World Series game before Giants third baseman Pablo Sandoval joined the club with a solo blast to right-center field in the bottom of the fifth inning of this Game 1. Sandoval sent a shot to the very same spot in the first and another to left field in the third.

Tigers ace Justin Verlander has already been driven from the game. Barry Zito, meanwhile, is working on another improbable postseason shutout. It’s 6-0 San Francisco as the sixth inning gets underway at a rocking AT&T Park.

1. aceshigh11 - Oct 24, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Wow.

WOW.

I’m not going to pretend I’m Mr. Baseball, but I had a conversation with my Dad earlier this week, and I said that I had a feeling Verlander was due to come back down to Earth at some point.

And as much as I feel he deserves a ring more than just about anyone, unpredictable World Series with twists and turns are always fun.

It’s good to see Zito redeeming himself a bit. He’s a good guy from all accounts.

• adeedothatswho - Oct 24, 2012 at 11:08 PM

I pretend I’m Tom Selleck all the time. Try it, it’s fun. Grow a mustache.

• moogro - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Amazing comment. That reminds me of a story. Was this you?

I was at my first game at Wrigley at a Cubs game vs. the Braves in 1990. This drunken, tanned frat guy with a big shit-eating gleaming white smile kept turning around and egging on the crowd with the Tomahawk chop throughout the game. As the game went on and he got drunker, he started flexing his bicep(t)s and admiring himself, unbuttoning his hawaiian shirt a button or two. The crowd around him asked him to sit down, then it escalated to boos and thrown popcorn. Finally, as he turned toward the crowd with the shit-eating grin and the Chop in the 8th, a heavy rain of popcorn, hotdogs and paper cups rained upon him. He was unfazed. He looked at the litter collecting on his body, and as if in a daze started admiring himself as if there was an imaginary mirror. Honest to God he said under his breath, “I’m Tom Selleck. I’m Tom f***ing Selleck.” But he didn’t look like Tom Selleck at all. But this realization only emboldened him. He took on the whole section with his Chops and escalated his maniacal laughter and taunts to a fever pitch. Just as some toughies in the crowd had had enough and were walking down to confront him, security grabbed him and saved his life by carrying him out of the game. As they dragged him away, I’ll never forget his face as he started shouting to the crowd that he was Tom Selleck with his arm going up and down in a chop motion between the shoulder of the two security guards carrying him away.

• dickclydesdale - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Pablo Sandoval is a rapist, he should be in prison not on the diamond.

2. historiophiliac - Oct 24, 2012 at 10:20 PM

I think that should be Ka-Pow Panda. Yowza!

3. sailcat54 - Oct 24, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Pablo just showed Verlander the respect he richly deserved! And well done, Zito! Two thumbs way, way, up!

And, as always, GO GIANTS!

• historiophiliac - Oct 24, 2012 at 10:30 PM

You know, you don’t have to be an insulting jackass to root for your team. Go back and find the post where I insult Pettitte, Cook, Sabbathia, etc. You won’t find it — because I can appreciate my team doing well without belittling the opposing players. Poor sportsmanship. Your team deserves better.

• sailcat54 - Oct 24, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Calm down, historiophiliac. Your team is being beaten by a hard playing, determined Giants team. I’m not saying the Tigers are a bad team; I am saying the Giants are the better team. Don’t take it so personally, okay?

(Go Giants!)

• historiophiliac - Oct 24, 2012 at 10:58 PM

I read your shit on the previous page. A poor winner is as sorry as a poor loser. Don’t be a jerk, and note my post above.

• sailcat54 - Oct 24, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Holy crap, historiophiliac! The Tigers have been held up by the media as being the strongly favored team and Verlander has been widely touted as the Giants killer in the press. My posts were not aimed at you, they were a response to the lack of respect the national press has been given the Gigantes. If I have been over enthusiastic about the Giants’ probable win tonight, surely you can understand why. You should get your feelings hurt over my comments, though. The Tigers are a good team and I am happy the Giants are in the WS with them. Feel better?

• sailcat54 - Oct 24, 2012 at 11:12 PM

shouldn’t*

• historiophiliac - Oct 24, 2012 at 11:33 PM

“Showing Verlander the respect he deserves”? That’s not about the media; that’s being disrespectful to the opposing pitcher. I’ve seen my team lose in the World Series before. I went a lot of years on loyalty instead of wins. I can take a loss. I can admit when my team does poorly and I agree that the hype on V was too much. I’ve said so before. That does not excuse your poor sportsmanship though. I would rather we be able to yank each other’s chains and enjoy the series (as I do with other Giants’ fans) instead…respectfully.

• protius - Oct 24, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Philiac:

He doesn’t have any respect; he’s a Marxist/Leninist Obamabot. Skip him.

• sailcat54 - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:02 AM

All right, hisoriophiliac. I apologize for being disrespectful to your team and their pitcher. I promise to be more sportsmanlike in my future posts.

How’s that?

• historiophiliac - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:14 AM

That’s good because if Protius is right and you’re a Marxist/Leninist Obamabot, we MUST be friends. lol

• sailcat54 - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Agreed!

4. umrguy42 - Oct 24, 2012 at 10:33 PM

But what will the Giants *do* with a lead in the Series? :p

5. heathater4lifeson - Oct 24, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Guess Sandoval must have visited Melky’s cousin before the game

• sailcat54 - Oct 24, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Or your mom. Either way, it made a difference, didn’t it? Thank your mom for us.

• historiophiliac - Oct 24, 2012 at 11:55 PM

McNamee, is that you?

6. natsattack - Oct 24, 2012 at 10:54 PM

I’m not naming anyone, but some fans here believe that their teams fortunes correlate to the ability to ruthly insult other teams.
    Hint:
    Stars with an “s” and rhymes with failboat.

Still not naming anyone.

• protius - Oct 24, 2012 at 11:44 PM

He’s also a real Obama ass kisser, socialist. You should read his Marxist propaganda on MSNBC.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:01 AM

“Philiac:”

“He doesn’t have any respect; he’s a Marxist/Leninist Obamabot. Skip him.”

Dear God please say it ain’t so! You are a conservative? What will I do?
        My stomach hurts.

• sailcat54 - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:08 AM

It’s nice to see I have a talent for offending losers. It’s easy to identify them that way.

7. cameltoehoe - Oct 24, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Anyone wanna pet my pussy?

• Gamera the Brave - Oct 25, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Okay, er, camel -
      Giving you the benefit of the doubt here (despite your handle), are you by chance referencing my all-time favorite Johnny Carson Tonite Show moment of all time?:
      Raquel Welch (guest, who had brought her fluffy white cat, which was sitting on her lap) – “Johnny, would you like to pet my pussy?”
      Johnny – “Sure, move the cat!”

Not a second hand story, I saw the show. Gobsmacked…

8. libertynchurch - Oct 24, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Reality check. My Ace has been soundly defeated and my troubled Closer probably shut down for the season. But my Tigers are like Sugar Ray Robinson. The Giants bloodied our nose in the first round. Happened before. No need to panic. OK, now we know that the Giants want to fight. But the Tigers will win tommorrow, and go home tied 1-1, With the Tiger Mojo fully intact!

• protius - Oct 24, 2012 at 11:47 PM

And than you woke up and found yourself naked in the park, with an open tube of KY jelly in your hand, surrounded by 9 dead cats, all bleeding from the ass.

WTG, Batman.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:02 AM

You should be ashamed of yourself. I am sure your Parents are.

• protius - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:34 AM

My parents are long dead, your parents, on the other hand, are siblings.

Go find some gullible flock to preach to, reverend.

9. itsonlyaspeedbump - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:05 AM

anybody else notice/think it was funny that Sandoval did the discount double check after his 3rd home run?

10. megastaff1975 - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:18 AM

He needs to be tested…the first one ill give him that one as verlander really left that one hanging to long. but the other 2 that he hit didnt seem right. an away pitch that went opposite field that he had to reach a bit to hit. and the last one was really low that went straight up center!! yeah hes gotta be using something here. PED!!!! another cheater using a Panda Enhanced Drug!!!!!

11. cameltoehoe - Oct 25, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Anybody care that I dance at Big Al’s?

12. foreverchipper10 - Oct 25, 2012 at 10:49 AM

You know what a panda has for lunch? They have bamboo.

Harper vs. Trout? It's just the opening act