Oct 24, 2012, 5:05 PM EST

Apropos of, well, everything:

source:

That’s all I got right now, folks. The Giants are going through workouts on the field. There is more media here than anything I’ve ever seen, and every player, coach and manager is at peak “don’t say anything interesting or controversial” form. They’ve been preparing for this level of cliche since February, folks.

The scene outside is getting silly as folks are waiting to be let into the park. I can either smell garlic fries or else I’m having a psychosomatic reaction in anticipation.

1. indaburg - Oct 24, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Is this heaven?

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 24, 2012 at 5:27 PM

It’s the Giant’s fans version of heaven, your version would have a brand new awesome packed to the gills ballpark as the Rays prepare for Game 1 of the WS at home.

• js20011041 - Oct 24, 2012 at 6:44 PM

I would think Rays fans would settle for the Trop packed to the gills awaiting the start of the World Series. To go off topic just a bit, I think that there is a bit of a misconception about that stadium. It far too often gets falsely called a dump. It isn’t. It’s a perfectly functional major league stadium. It’s clean. has good sight lines, and really does look better in person than on TV. The main problem, of course, is the location. But when people say “dump,” I think they mean boring. It’s dreadfully dull for a ballpark.

• APBA Guy - Oct 24, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Almost heaven, those fluffy clouds from the remnants of Hurricane Paul mar what should be a perfect blue sky. Tomorrow will be better, with the breeze coming from the normal northwest.

• natstowngreg - Oct 24, 2012 at 7:04 PM

The Giants moved to West Virginia?

• indaburg - Oct 24, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Those cumulus clouds look perfect to me. Blue skies with no puffy white clouds? Boring.

2. Shafer's Dealer - Oct 24, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Substantial stuff…

3. beefytrout - Oct 24, 2012 at 5:17 PM

I remember the large media presence being something that stood out to me too, during my first time at a WS game. At least 100 on the field, with many more milling about the concourses. There’s simply nothing like a WS game.

4. goawaydog - Oct 24, 2012 at 5:28 PM

welcome to the City Craig. We throw a pretty good party and really know how to enjoy a ballgame here. hope you enjoy the buzz int he air and in the stands too! GO ORANGE AND BLACK!

5. wlschneider09 - Oct 24, 2012 at 5:29 PM

What, no equipment bag?

6. sdelmonte - Oct 24, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Wish I were there.

7. rickyspanish - Oct 24, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Nice digs.

8. someguyinva - Oct 24, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Giants fans, especially those who know the park, a question for you…

I’ve been in that park a couple of times, and although I can’t make it out in Craig’s picture, there is (or at least was) a Levi’s logo shaped sign out near the glove and Coke bottle that said “501”. Now, I know it’s advertising their 501 jeans, but it’s placement got me to thinking that it was also 501 feet from home plate. Ushers and other park staff that I asked couldn’t confirm that, though.

Anyone know for certain?

• nothanksimdriving123 - Oct 24, 2012 at 10:14 PM

According to ballparks.com: Huge glove in left field is clearly marked with a “501” sign (the distance from home plate to the pocket of the glove is 518 feet) making it the most distant current outfield measurement sign in baseball.

• someguyinva - Oct 25, 2012 at 6:50 AM

Thanks!

9. foreverchipper10 - Oct 25, 2012 at 10:26 AM

This is the view I had in the one game I took in when I was out there. Beautiful ballpark and the garlic fries are dee-lish.

10. chumthumper - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Don’t know about the new park, but at the Stick in the mid-70s (even on a day like the one in the pic), you would freeze to death in a seat in the shade.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5157)
  2. M. Kemp (3561)
  3. J. Upton (2845)
  4. J. Kang (2834)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2733)
  1. C. McGehee (2732)