The Giants borrowed 3,000 pounds of infield clay from the A’s

Oct 24, 2012, 9:40 AM EDT

Rain AT&T Park

After the deluge during Game 7 on Monday night, the Giants groundskeeper dumped the teams entire supply of that absorbent clay on the infield at AT&T Park. But less than 36 hours later, the field is in tip-top shape. How? He borrowed 3,000 pounds of it from the A’s. Andrew Baggarly reports:

“We had enough on hand, I thought,” said Elliott, as the Giants worked out on the gleaming field Tuesday afternoon. “I had to call a few of my sources this morning. I snuck over across the bay and borrowed some from our friends over there. I don’t know if I should be telling you that, though.”

Yet they still fight over San Jose.  But I guess what I’m trying to say is, if I can change, and you can change, everybody can change … Yo Adrian!

1. illcomm - Oct 24, 2012 at 9:45 AM

its more like, “Yooo Adriaaaannn.”. Funny though your camparing the A’s organizational to communist Russia.

2. nategearhart - Oct 24, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I really wish Lew Wolf (Wolff?) would just throw down the money to build a new stadium in Oakland. I’d love to see them stay there.

3. craggt - Oct 24, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Borrowed or bought? Do the Giants have to pay for the A’s sunflower seeds for the next decade? Because you know, Billy Beane likes to keep the money on the field.

• ridingwithnohandlebars - Oct 24, 2012 at 11:38 AM

maybe they plan on returning it. like whenever i borrow a stick of gum from a friend.

4. mrwillie - Oct 24, 2012 at 10:01 AM

So now it’s suddenly convenient to have another team 15 miles away?

5. jlovenotjlo - Oct 24, 2012 at 10:54 AM

“In exchange for the 3000 pounds of clay, the A’s acquired two minor league prospects from the Giants”

Beane’s done it again.

6. dcfan4life - Oct 24, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Is borrowed the right word here? Are the A’s expecting it returned?

• natstowngreg - Oct 24, 2012 at 1:31 PM

The A’s will get grass seed to be named later.

7. mazblast - Oct 24, 2012 at 4:57 PM

The Giants needed something the A’s had on hand and didn’t immediately need. The A’s got some cash and some much-needed Giants’ goodwill.

Both sides happy, both sides filled a need. Sounds like a winner of a deal to me.

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. G. Stanton (3961)