Oct 24, 2012, 4:16 PM EST
Here are the lineups for Game 1 of the World Series between the Tigers and Giants, in San Francisco:
DETROIT TIGERS SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS 1. Austin Jackson, CF 1. Angel Pagan, CF 2. Omar Infante, 2B 2. Marco Scutaro, 2B 3. Miguel Cabrera, 3B 3. Pablo Sandoval, 3B 4. Prince Fielder, 1B 4. Buster Posey, C 5. Delmon Young, LF 5. Hunter Pence, RF 6. Jhonny Peralta, SS 6. Brandon Belt, 1B 7. Avisail Garcia, RF 7. Gregor Blanco, LF 8. Alex Avila, C 8. Brandon Crawford, SS 9. Justin Verlander, SP 9. Barry Zito, SP
Playing under NL rules takes the designated hitter away from the Tigers, so manager Jim Leyland has Delmon Young in left field and Andy Dirks on the bench. Young is terrible defensively, but came through offensively in the ALCS and having him in the lineup against left-hander Barry Zito makes sense. Leyland has typically benched Alex Avila in favor of Gerald Laird versus lefties, but Avila is behind the plate tonight catching Justin Verlander.
Bruce Bochy is going with his standard lineup versus right-handed pitching, which includes Buster Posey catching and cleaning up, Pablo Sandoval batting in front of him, and Gregor Blanco in left field while Melky Cabrera remains absent from the playoff roster.
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 12
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 40
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15