Oct 24, 2012, 4:16 PM EST
Here are the lineups for Game 1 of the World Series between the Tigers and Giants, in San Francisco:
DETROIT TIGERS SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS 1. Austin Jackson, CF 1. Angel Pagan, CF 2. Omar Infante, 2B 2. Marco Scutaro, 2B 3. Miguel Cabrera, 3B 3. Pablo Sandoval, 3B 4. Prince Fielder, 1B 4. Buster Posey, C 5. Delmon Young, LF 5. Hunter Pence, RF 6. Jhonny Peralta, SS 6. Brandon Belt, 1B 7. Avisail Garcia, RF 7. Gregor Blanco, LF 8. Alex Avila, C 8. Brandon Crawford, SS 9. Justin Verlander, SP 9. Barry Zito, SP
Playing under NL rules takes the designated hitter away from the Tigers, so manager Jim Leyland has Delmon Young in left field and Andy Dirks on the bench. Young is terrible defensively, but came through offensively in the ALCS and having him in the lineup against left-hander Barry Zito makes sense. Leyland has typically benched Alex Avila in favor of Gerald Laird versus lefties, but Avila is behind the plate tonight catching Justin Verlander.
Bruce Bochy is going with his standard lineup versus right-handed pitching, which includes Buster Posey catching and cleaning up, Pablo Sandoval batting in front of him, and Gregor Blanco in left field while Melky Cabrera remains absent from the playoff roster.
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 30
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 38
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 61
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 28
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)