Oct 24, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
Here are the lineups for Game 1 of the World Series between the Tigers and Giants, in San Francisco:
DETROIT TIGERS SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS 1. Austin Jackson, CF 1. Angel Pagan, CF 2. Omar Infante, 2B 2. Marco Scutaro, 2B 3. Miguel Cabrera, 3B 3. Pablo Sandoval, 3B 4. Prince Fielder, 1B 4. Buster Posey, C 5. Delmon Young, LF 5. Hunter Pence, RF 6. Jhonny Peralta, SS 6. Brandon Belt, 1B 7. Avisail Garcia, RF 7. Gregor Blanco, LF 8. Alex Avila, C 8. Brandon Crawford, SS 9. Justin Verlander, SP 9. Barry Zito, SP
Playing under NL rules takes the designated hitter away from the Tigers, so manager Jim Leyland has Delmon Young in left field and Andy Dirks on the bench. Young is terrible defensively, but came through offensively in the ALCS and having him in the lineup against left-hander Barry Zito makes sense. Leyland has typically benched Alex Avila in favor of Gerald Laird versus lefties, but Avila is behind the plate tonight catching Justin Verlander.
Bruce Bochy is going with his standard lineup versus right-handed pitching, which includes Buster Posey catching and cleaning up, Pablo Sandoval batting in front of him, and Gregor Blanco in left field while Melky Cabrera remains absent from the playoff roster.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 56
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 16
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)