Giants break through in seventh inning, lead 1-0 in Game 2

Oct 25, 2012, 10:37 PM EST

Hunter Pence Getty Getty Images

Game 2 is scoreless no longer.

The Giants finally broke through in the bottom of the seventh inning when Brandon Crawford grounded into a double play with the bases loaded to score Hunter Pence from third base.

The inning was set up when Doug Fister gave up a leadoff single to Pence. He was replaced by Drew Smyly, who proceeded to walk Brandon Belt. Gregor Blanco then dropped down a perfectly-placed bunt and the Tigers’ only hope was that it would roll foul. It didn’t. Once again, everything seems to be going the Giants’ way. Crawford then hit the double-play grounder to score Pence. Smyly escaped further damage by getting Ryan Theriot (who pinch-hit for Madison Bumgarner) to strike out. Things could have been been much worse for the Tigers given the circumstances.

The Giants have a 1-0 lead entering the eighth inning while the Tigers have six outs left to play with.

1. randygnyc - Oct 25, 2012 at 11:04 PM

2-0 giants, bottom 8. Looks like fister could get nicked with the loss.

2. sailcat54 - Oct 25, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Wotta game! Three more outs for the Tigers; this game is far from over!

• historiophiliac - Oct 25, 2012 at 11:09 PM

I just wish I wasn’t starting to like the Giants so much. Booo!

• sailcat54 - Oct 25, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Both good teams and both are playing well. This is good baseball!

• historiophiliac - Oct 25, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Our bats are cold. :( It would be more fun if we had some back and forth here. Well, now to the D.

• sailcat54 - Oct 25, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Respect to Fister for a great game, but I’m happy for Mad Bum even more! Well done!

• historiophiliac - Oct 25, 2012 at 11:31 PM

You guys played great. It’s impossible not to respect that…but I still don’t like Buster Brown.

• sailcat54 - Oct 25, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Really? He’s a good kid and a very good catcher. What’s not to like?

• historiophiliac - Oct 25, 2012 at 11:51 PM

I guess he just rubs me the wrong way. I like other players on your team better. I don’t like young punks much generally though. They’re like annoying puppies.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester