Mike Trout headlines this year’s class of Fielding Bible Award winners

Oct 25, 2012, 7:01 PM EDT

Mike Trout Getty Getty Images

If you have lost patience with the Gold Glove Award as a measure of defensive excellence, the Fielding Bible Awards are here to help.

Voted on by a 10-person panel which includes the likes of Bill James, Peter Gammons, Rob Neyer, Joe Posnanski, Doug Glanville, John Dewan and the video scouting team at Baseball Info Solutions, the award aims to recognize the best defensive player at each position in major league baseball. This is the seventh year of the award.

Below are the 2012 winners:

C – Yadier Molina, Cardinals
1B – Mark Teixeira, Yankees
2B – Darwin Barney, Cubs
SS – Brendan Ryan, Mariners
3B – Adrian Beltre, Rangers
LF – Alex Gordon, Royals
CF – Mike Trout, Angels
RF – Jason Heyward, Braves
P – Mark Buehrle, Marlins

Buehrle, a unanimous choice, has won the award in four straight years while Beltre was the only other repeat winner. Trout, Teixeira, Barney, Ryan, Gordon and Heyward are all first-timers. Molina, who previously won at catcher from 2007-2010, took the award back after Matt Wieters won last year.

This year’s Gold Glove Award winners for the National League and American League will be unveiled during a special broadcast of ESPN’s Baseball Tonight next Tuesday.

1. schlom - Oct 25, 2012 at 7:36 PM

The weird pick is Teixeira over Gonzalez. I thought pretty much everyone thought that Gonzalez was the superior fielder? He also rates higher in the defensive stats published by BBRef, Fangraphs, and BP.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Oct 25, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Defensive stats, as unreliable as they are, are even worse for 1b and C. Tex has routinely been considered an above average 1b, so it’s not a travesty he won.

• schlom - Oct 25, 2012 at 7:52 PM

I think he was considered an above-average fielder a few years ago but he doesn’t move as well as he used to and only played 119 games in the field this year because of injuries. Obviously this is no Rafael Palmeiro situation but I’m still surprised.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Oct 25, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Possibly. It’s one of the faults of having people who watch the games vote on these awards. Including BIS information helps, but we all know how faulty the “eye test” is.

2. missthemexpos - Oct 25, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Where is Derek Jeter?

• approvenothing - Oct 25, 2012 at 7:54 PM

I pray that you are not searious…

• missthemexpos - Oct 25, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Rest assured that I posed a strictly satirical question.

3. 18thstreet - Oct 25, 2012 at 8:18 PM

These awards are totally biased against my favorite team.

• bozosforall - Oct 25, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Given that the panel contains several documented fans of “your team”, I highly doubt that there was any bias against them. Typical crybaby Boston loser you are.

4. paperlions - Oct 25, 2012 at 8:21 PM

I assume Cabrera finished 2nd for 3B

5. migoli - Oct 25, 2012 at 8:30 PM

hahahahaha Cabrera as the second best 3b….. I heart the internet

6. dondada10 - Oct 25, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Is Alex Gordon the most underrated position player in baseball?

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 26, 2012 at 9:33 AM

I am thinking Jon Jay would give Alex a run for his money in that department.

• groundruledoublebourbon - Oct 26, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Oh, I heart St. Louis fans — making “heroes” out of the likes of Skip Schumaker, John Jay, Pete Kozma, and other perfectly good, not great, baseball players. That being said, Jay is on the upper end of the spectrum of internal Cardinal heroes. Very good player.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 29, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Heroes? Who the Hell said anything about heroes?
        Pete Kozma (who should still be in AA)?
        Skip Schumaker (who is a 4th or 5th outfielder)?
        What do either of them have to do with J.J.?
        Do your homework on Jon Jay and get back to me.
        I think you will find the dude commited ZERO errors while playing a damn good CF.
        Heroes? Really?

7. StottsEra - Oct 26, 2012 at 9:05 AM

what about DH ?

8. jm91rs - Oct 26, 2012 at 9:11 AM

I can only go by the eye test, but I think Brandon Phillips should be on this list.

• geoknows - Oct 26, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Advanced defensive metrics, which, while not perfect, are the best we have for judging such things. And those advanced metrics say that Barney was far and away the best defensive second baseman in baseball, not Phillips.

Three legends off to Cooperstown