Oct 25, 2012, 7:01 PM EDT
If you have lost patience with the Gold Glove Award as a measure of defensive excellence, the Fielding Bible Awards are here to help.
Voted on by a 10-person panel which includes the likes of Bill James, Peter Gammons, Rob Neyer, Joe Posnanski, Doug Glanville, John Dewan and the video scouting team at Baseball Info Solutions, the award aims to recognize the best defensive player at each position in major league baseball. This is the seventh year of the award.
Below are the 2012 winners:
C – Yadier Molina, Cardinals
1B – Mark Teixeira, Yankees
2B – Darwin Barney, Cubs
SS – Brendan Ryan, Mariners
3B – Adrian Beltre, Rangers
LF – Alex Gordon, Royals
CF – Mike Trout, Angels
RF – Jason Heyward, Braves
P – Mark Buehrle, Marlins
Buehrle, a unanimous choice, has won the award in four straight years while Beltre was the only other repeat winner. Trout, Teixeira, Barney, Ryan, Gordon and Heyward are all first-timers. Molina, who previously won at catcher from 2007-2010, took the award back after Matt Wieters won last year.
This year’s Gold Glove Award winners for the National League and American League will be unveiled during a special broadcast of ESPN’s Baseball Tonight next Tuesday.
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead