Oct 25, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Ozzie Guillen was fired by the Marlins yesterday one season into a four-year, $10 million contract. That wasn’t a surprise given all the speculation about his job being in jeopardy for months now, but Guillen’s subdued reaction was pretty shocking.
Guillen, who was going back to his home in Chicago, told reporters that he didn’t want to do a lengthy interview, so Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald exchanged text messages that included the following:
I don’t have much to say. No matter what I say, people are going to believe what they want to believe. That’s why I’m going to stay away. … I know some people are on my side. They should because I don’t think it was the right decision. But they have the right to do whatever they have to do.
Who are you and what have you done with the real Ozzie?!
Meanwhile, the Marlins have started looking for a new manager and longtime catcher Mike Redmond has emerged as a leading candidate.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (196)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)