Oct 25, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Ozzie Guillen was fired by the Marlins yesterday one season into a four-year, $10 million contract. That wasn’t a surprise given all the speculation about his job being in jeopardy for months now, but Guillen’s subdued reaction was pretty shocking.
Guillen, who was going back to his home in Chicago, told reporters that he didn’t want to do a lengthy interview, so Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald exchanged text messages that included the following:
I don’t have much to say. No matter what I say, people are going to believe what they want to believe. That’s why I’m going to stay away. … I know some people are on my side. They should because I don’t think it was the right decision. But they have the right to do whatever they have to do.
Who are you and what have you done with the real Ozzie?!
Meanwhile, the Marlins have started looking for a new manager and longtime catcher Mike Redmond has emerged as a leading candidate.
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 22
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 40
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 63
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 75
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 91
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)