Oct 25, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Ozzie Guillen was fired by the Marlins yesterday one season into a four-year, $10 million contract. That wasn’t a surprise given all the speculation about his job being in jeopardy for months now, but Guillen’s subdued reaction was pretty shocking.
Guillen, who was going back to his home in Chicago, told reporters that he didn’t want to do a lengthy interview, so Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald exchanged text messages that included the following:
I don’t have much to say. No matter what I say, people are going to believe what they want to believe. That’s why I’m going to stay away. … I know some people are on my side. They should because I don’t think it was the right decision. But they have the right to do whatever they have to do.
Who are you and what have you done with the real Ozzie?!
Meanwhile, the Marlins have started looking for a new manager and longtime catcher Mike Redmond has emerged as a leading candidate.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 5
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Blue Jays, Giants “taking their best shot” at Chase Utley 19
- Baseball is dying, you guys (148)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)