Oct 25, 2012, 2:14 PM EST
Ozzie Guillen was fired by the Marlins yesterday one season into a four-year, $10 million contract. That wasn’t a surprise given all the speculation about his job being in jeopardy for months now, but Guillen’s subdued reaction was pretty shocking.
Guillen, who was going back to his home in Chicago, told reporters that he didn’t want to do a lengthy interview, so Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald exchanged text messages that included the following:
I don’t have much to say. No matter what I say, people are going to believe what they want to believe. That’s why I’m going to stay away. … I know some people are on my side. They should because I don’t think it was the right decision. But they have the right to do whatever they have to do.
Who are you and what have you done with the real Ozzie?!
Meanwhile, the Marlins have started looking for a new manager and longtime catcher Mike Redmond has emerged as a leading candidate.
- Zack Greinke hasn’t made decision about opt-out 5
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 19
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 42
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 103
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (105)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)