Oct 25, 2012, 2:14 PM EST
Ozzie Guillen was fired by the Marlins yesterday one season into a four-year, $10 million contract. That wasn’t a surprise given all the speculation about his job being in jeopardy for months now, but Guillen’s subdued reaction was pretty shocking.
Guillen, who was going back to his home in Chicago, told reporters that he didn’t want to do a lengthy interview, so Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald exchanged text messages that included the following:
I don’t have much to say. No matter what I say, people are going to believe what they want to believe. That’s why I’m going to stay away. … I know some people are on my side. They should because I don’t think it was the right decision. But they have the right to do whatever they have to do.
Who are you and what have you done with the real Ozzie?!
Meanwhile, the Marlins have started looking for a new manager and longtime catcher Mike Redmond has emerged as a leading candidate.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)