Report: MLB “in discussions” about opening 2014 season in Australia

Oct 25, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT

australia movie

Dylan Hernandez and Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times report that MLB “is in discussions about the possibility of starting its 2014 season in Australia” and Australian promoters are pushing for the Dodgers to be one of the teams.

MLB spokesperson Pat Courtney denied the report, saying: “We are not currently exploring the possibility with the Dodgers or any other team to play in Australia.” And even the report acknowledges that “it appears the negotiations haven’t advanced to the point where specific teams are being included in the talks.”

However, according to the Sydney Morning Herald the Dodgers are being targeted because of Magic Johnson’s involvement and there’s already a report claiming that the Diamondbacks would be their “likely opponents” for a three-game series at Sydney Cricket Ground.

Without commenting specifically on the possibility of playing in Australia Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall issued a statement saying that “if the possibility existed for the D-Backs to play overseas, we would most certainly be interested.”

Time zones and travel would obviously be obstacles, but MLB has regularly played season-opening series in Japan and sending two teams to Australia would seemingly be similar.

1. kiwicricket - Oct 25, 2012 at 11:01 AM

One of the most special sporting grounds in the world. Would be a great idea and not a bad time of year to visit either.
    Baseball has been played in Australia for 150yrs, with over 500 Australians signing contracts with MLB teams. The 10hr time difference would be a drag on the players though.

• cur68 - Oct 25, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Will there be Vegimite tasting? If so I want that televised.

• kiwicricket - Oct 25, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Is “Vegimite Tasting” some sort of Beaver code I am unaware of?

Vege, Marmite and my particular favorite…’Bovril’ all make routine appearances on Master-chef, as part of ‘yeast spread Monday’ on channel 5.

• minnesota32 - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Vegemite may be the most vile and disgusting substance I have ever tasted.

• kiwicricket - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:23 PM

I don’t understand why people hate it so much? Try it spread lightly over some toast. Lightly! No butter.
        In a nice fresh bun, with a little butter.
        Or if you have a cold….as a hot drink?

Its basically the duct tape of the spreadable condiment world.

• cur68 - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:32 PM

It is axel grease only less tasty. About its only use is as a hangover cure. Half glass of hot water, spoonful of vegemite, some crackers and a BIIIIG glass of water after. You’ll still have the hangover, but after the vegemite you’ll cease to regard the hangover as bad.

• slartibartfast4242 - Oct 25, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Vegemite? boo.
        Marmite all day!!!

• indaburg - Oct 25, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Vegemite is the most vile substance on the planet.

Best hangover cure is preventative. Before going to sleep, eat a banana, take a multi-vitamin, and drink approx 36 oz of water (about a liter to you foreign types). I have gotten slammed and woke up no worse for the wear. The only problem is remembering to do all of that before passing out.

• cur68 - Oct 25, 2012 at 4:30 PM

My brother used to say: “You can tell a lot about a girl by when and how she eats a banana…”

• indaburg - Oct 25, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Your brother is a wise man.

• cur68 - Oct 25, 2012 at 5:01 PM

He’s a baboon’s arse.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Oct 25, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Almost wish I’d tasted the stuff so as to have an opinion, As for hangovers: simply take two ibuprofen before going to bed and I wake up feeling fine.

• Old Gator - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:35 PM

To hell with Vegimite. What they want is a heaping platter of Balmain bugs, succulent little slipper lobsters that bear a startling resemblance to Romulan cockroaches but are passports to gustatory heaven. Served with a cut of buffalo steak, the dish is called “Surf n’ turf.” Served with a barramundi filet, it’s known as “bugs n’ barra.” Served with a roast saddle of hare, it’s known as “Bugs Bunny.”

Barramundi, by the way, is an enormous primitive estuarine perch-like feesh which is born male and degenerates into a female as it approaches its hulking adulthood. If your menu says “whole barramundi,” you’ll be eating a male. If it says “barramundi fillet,” you’ll be eating a female. Why it should bother me to know the sex of the feesh I’m eating, I don’t know. Probably has something to do with my proximity to SoBe. Whatever. In any case I’m trying to envision these little males trying to make it with these huge females. That’s a scenario less off of SoBe then out of Little Havana.

• Old Gator - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:37 PM

PS – don’t be gulled into “trying” kangaroo. Roo tastes like dog food – which, in fact, is what it is.

• kiwicricket - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:42 PM

The demand for Barra has outgrown Australian now. They import from Asia, believe it or not! I am actually investigating a fishing trip to the NT to find my own actually.
        Moreton Bay Bugs halved on the barbie, lots of garlic butter and a squeeze of lemon.

• cur68 - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:47 PM

The stuff I learn ’round here. I had barra so many times and I never knew this male/female thing was going on with the fish. Wow. Now I’m kinda curious about what I ate. Sure hope it was fillet. Not that there would be anything wrong with whole barra, a’course . . . Frankly I think I was happier not knowing any of this. Never had balmain bugs, but I have seen fan lobster on menus. Shoulda had that I guess. Did have yabby, though. Pretty good eats, too. Now I must go and rinse my digestion with a big glass of vegemite and hot water just in case there’s any whole barra hanging around in there. See you later…if I survive the vegemite.

• kiwicricket - Oct 25, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Vegemite eye-black! The stuff is amazing.

• indaburg - Oct 25, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Degenerates into a female, OG? Tsk, tsk.

• Old Gator - Oct 25, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Congratulations on being the only one to pick that one up. As my grandmother used to say, two’s androgyny; three’s a crowd.

• cosanostra71 - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:49 PM

I have been to SCG before and it is a beautiful stadium.

• hojo20 - Oct 25, 2012 at 1:54 PM

How about just keep it in the USA?

2. willclarkgameface - Oct 25, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Major League Baseball. McDonalds. Pizza Hut.

I never know why Americans need to force their “way” and products down other countries throats. It’s no wonder people around the world hate us as much as they do. Keep baseball here not because I dislike Australia or Japan or Mexico, but just because it’s embarrassing as an American to do this kind of force feeding.

And let us not forget the fact that if they do this, Matt Kemp will look like a NASCAR car. Lame on all counts.

• kiwicricket - Oct 25, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Well Will, we are generally fine with Baseball, NFL and other sporting events coming to other countries
      …..It’s when your Dictators illegally and immorally invade other countries, torture P.O.W, supply arms to other countries which illicit’s hate,violence and oppression etc etc then tell the world they are it’s democratic moral leader. It’s about that point when the foreign countries get their underwear all scrunched up. Not having Baseball played at the S.C.G

• Marty - Oct 25, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Kiwi, pull the bbqed shrimp from your asshole and focus on important things like baseball and your inflated home value.

• kiwicricket - Oct 25, 2012 at 1:42 PM

You are right, will stick to baseball. But inflated home value?

• kiwicricket - Oct 25, 2012 at 11:40 AM

I don’t understand the NASCAR thing. Matt Kemp will be unable to turn right?

• cosanostra71 - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Baseball is actually somewhat popular in Australia, at least based on my time there. Not as popular as Aussie Rules Football, Rugby, cricket, basketball and soccer, but Australia is a sporting nation and they love to compete.

• kiwicricket - Oct 25, 2012 at 1:38 PM

I agree. They would have 20k tourists alone wanting to go to each of those games. The locals would make a great time out of it. No problem spending cash on sporting events in either Melbourne or Sydney.

3. randygnyc - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:02 PM

24 hours flying time, plus inoculations. I wonder if the players union will sign off on that.

• kiwicricket - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Inoculations? The hell do you think we have down here, Randy?
      It about 13-14Hrs on a regular Airline from LA to Sydney.

• historiophiliac - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:38 PM

East Coast bias lol

• Old Gator - Oct 25, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Biz class on a Qantas 747-400 is as good as it gets.

• indaburg - Oct 25, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Well, you guys do have that thing with sheep…

• Old Gator - Oct 25, 2012 at 6:05 PM

They do, but everyone knows about that. The thing with goats is their dirty little secret.

4. bayarea510 - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:54 PM

I thought the Oakland A’s might be good choice considering they have a few players on their team from Australia.

5. Marty - Oct 25, 2012 at 1:02 PM

The Dodgers and Dbacks are a fine choice ;)

6. bravojawja - Oct 25, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Will they run the bases counterclockwise?

• bravojawja - Oct 25, 2012 at 4:04 PM

dammit!

7. bravojawja - Oct 25, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Will they run the bases clockwise?

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto