Oct 25, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Dylan Hernandez and Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times report that MLB “is in discussions about the possibility of starting its 2014 season in Australia” and Australian promoters are pushing for the Dodgers to be one of the teams.
MLB spokesperson Pat Courtney denied the report, saying: “We are not currently exploring the possibility with the Dodgers or any other team to play in Australia.” And even the report acknowledges that “it appears the negotiations haven’t advanced to the point where specific teams are being included in the talks.”
However, according to the Sydney Morning Herald the Dodgers are being targeted because of Magic Johnson’s involvement and there’s already a report claiming that the Diamondbacks would be their “likely opponents” for a three-game series at Sydney Cricket Ground.
Without commenting specifically on the possibility of playing in Australia Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall issued a statement saying that “if the possibility existed for the D-Backs to play overseas, we would most certainly be interested.”
Time zones and travel would obviously be obstacles, but MLB has regularly played season-opening series in Japan and sending two teams to Australia would seemingly be similar.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 88
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 11
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 54
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 47
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (87)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)