Oct 26, 2012, 3:25 PM EDT
Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post spoke to Adam LaRoche about his ongoing contract talks with the Nationals and the impending free agent first baseman said “there’s nothing definitive” but “they’ve laid a little bit of the groundwork.”
LaRoche will decline his half of a $10 million mutual option following a strong bounceback season that saw him hit .271 with 33 homers and an .853 OPS after being hurt for most of last year.
LaRoche is 32 and not quite an elite hitter, but because the free agent market is weak for big bats he should have no trouble landing a multi-year deal.
“I would like to stick around for a few years,” LaRoche told Kilgore. “Whether that’s two or four, that’ll be up to these guys. I would like to stay. I haven’t changed my position at all since I made it clear I wanted to stay here. I hope they get it done.”
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 9
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 151
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 29
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39