Oct 26, 2012, 7:47 PM EST
While CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reported Thursday that the Brewers are “seriously considering a run” at free agent outfielder Josh Hamilton, Brewers owner Mark Attanasio said he’s more interested in addressing his team’s pitching problems.
“We’ve got the No. 1 offense in the league,” Attanasio told the Journal Sentinel’s Tom Haudricourt. “We know that’s working. We have to fix the bullpen. We were last in the majors. That has to be fixed. We’ve done a lot of work to see what the options are there.”
The Brewers are looking at a big bullpen turnover with Francisco Rodriguez set to leave as a free agent and Kameron Loe, Manny Parra and Jose Veras all possibilities to be traded or non-tendered. They’re also likely to seek at least one starter and probably two if they don’t re-sign Shaun Marcum. It’s hard to see how they could fill those holes and still afford Hamilton’s $20 million-plus salary.
Attanasio, for what it’s worth, couldn’t address that rumor directly, since Hamilton is still Rangers property through the end of the World Series.
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 77
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 41
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (81)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)