Oct 26, 2012, 6:52 PM EDT
The Giants will go with their 22-year-old backup catcher as their designated hitter in Game 3 of the World Series in Detroit on Saturday. Hector Sanchez is getting the call for the third time in the postseason.
Aubrey Huff was the most likely alternative in the spot.
Both of Sanchez’s previous assignments this month came behind the plate, with Buster Posey shifting to first base. Sanchez often caught Tim Lincecum and Barry Zito in the regular season. However, Lincecum has started just the once in the postseason, and since Sanchez had such a rough game in his lone start against the Cardinals, Giants manager Bruce Bochy has decided to have Posey catch Zito in his last two starts.
Of course, since pretty much everything Bochy touches has turned to gold this month, Sanchez figures to be good for at least one homer tomorrow. The free-swinging switch-hitter batted .280/.295/.390 with three homers, 34 RBI and a 52/5 K/BB ratio in 218 at-bats during the regular season. He’s 1-for-7 with two walks and four strikeouts in the postseason.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 88
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 15
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 35
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 40
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 350
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (350)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (189)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)