Oct 26, 2012, 6:52 PM EDT
The Giants will go with their 22-year-old backup catcher as their designated hitter in Game 3 of the World Series in Detroit on Saturday. Hector Sanchez is getting the call for the third time in the postseason.
Aubrey Huff was the most likely alternative in the spot.
Both of Sanchez’s previous assignments this month came behind the plate, with Buster Posey shifting to first base. Sanchez often caught Tim Lincecum and Barry Zito in the regular season. However, Lincecum has started just the once in the postseason, and since Sanchez had such a rough game in his lone start against the Cardinals, Giants manager Bruce Bochy has decided to have Posey catch Zito in his last two starts.
Of course, since pretty much everything Bochy touches has turned to gold this month, Sanchez figures to be good for at least one homer tomorrow. The free-swinging switch-hitter batted .280/.295/.390 with three homers, 34 RBI and a 52/5 K/BB ratio in 218 at-bats during the regular season. He’s 1-for-7 with two walks and four strikeouts in the postseason.
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 0
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 21
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 54
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 77
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 35
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (180)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (100)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)