Oct 26, 2012, 6:40 PM EDT
Sources told CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman that Yankees manager Joe Girardi had a special request for the Yankee Stadium PA announcer when he removed Alex Rodriguez from postseason games: he had Rodriguez’s name omitted from the switch.
Rodriguez was pulled for a pinch-hitter three times in his six postseason starts. Raul Ibanez, of course, homered in his place in Game 3 of the ALDS against the Orioles. Eric Chavez hit for him in Game 4 of that series and in Game 1 of the ALCS versus the Tigers.
All of those games were at home, so Girardi could dictate the PA’s announcement. When A-Rod was removed in favor of Ibanez, his name was announced, as is typical. His name was left out of the pinch-hitting announcement the two times afterwards.
GM Brian Cashman confirmed to Heyman that Girardi made the call in order to protect A-Rod’s feelings. Which is really pretty nice of him. It also illustrates how ridiculous the rumors were that the Yankees were trying to humiliate Rodriguez because they wanted him two waive his no-trade clause.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)