Kenny Williams talks about his ruined friendship with Ozzie Guillen

Oct 26, 2012, 9:30 PM EDT

Kenny Williams, Ozzie Guillen AP

Kenny Williams and Ozzie Guillen are both charting new courses now, what with Williams having been pushed upstairs by the White Sox and Guillen getting fired by the Marlins. For the first time since the two split last year, Williams opened up about his feelings for Guillen to CSNChicago.com’s Chuck Garfien on Friday.

“He was my friend, a very dear friend at one point in time,” Williams said. “Some of the things that have been said have hurt me, I’ll be honest with you, because I didn’t feel like it was warranted. For me personally, it’s water under the bridge. You move on. It’s unfortunate what happened down in Florida.”

Williams hasn’t been in contact with Guillen since the two parted ways with last year’s trade. The two continued working together after nearly coming to blows in a June 2010 incident, but the relationship was frayed beyond repair during the 2011 season.

1. drewsylvania - Oct 26, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Is there a friendship Guillen hasn’t ruined?

• protius - Oct 27, 2012 at 2:38 AM

OG still loves him.

• Old Gator - Oct 27, 2012 at 10:16 AM

And I love you too, my little Protywuss. Just as I love Friendo, my pet rattlesnake. Would you like your weekly mousey today, hmmmm?

• stex52 - Oct 27, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Oddly enough, I felt some sympathy for the guy as the season progressed. He was as much a victim of the bizarre circus in that franchise as anyone else.

• Old Gator - Oct 27, 2012 at 3:26 PM

I agree. I think he generated a lot of the circus atmosphere himself, though the incompetence in personnel selection that so badly sabotaged his tenure as field manager, not unheard of in other franchises, came from Scrooge McLoria and Teflon Larry. It has been a perfect shitstorm.

• protius - Oct 27, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Old Hack:

Drinking and the Internet don’t mix.

BTW: That isn’t a rattlesnake, it’s a piggy-in-a-blanket. Take your hand out of your pants.

• Old Gator - Oct 28, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Adorable. Did you think that one up yourself or were you just hanging out down by the junior high playground with your friends, wishing you could signify like the grownups?

• protius - Oct 28, 2012 at 3:50 PM

You are pathetic.

You’re now so drunk, that you’re babbling and almost incoherent. Why don’t you give it a rest, has-been.

You are no longer pertinent. You are a wasted hack writer/poet that nobody gives a shit about, so you come here you vent your cancerous spleen.

You were at your best when you were beating your wife, and molesting students.

2. dcfan4life - Oct 26, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Lets see, Ozzie has pissed off owners, GMs, players, umpires, and fans. Is he done in baseball? I mean why hire a guy who isnt popular with anyone but sports writers?

• esracerx46 - Oct 27, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Ask the Red Sox. Guillen and Bobby V both logged some time in the booth. Booby V more so, which is the most likely reason he was hired. Use of the media has gotten a lot of coaches, Gms managers, etc jobs in all sports

3. badintent - Oct 26, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Let me introduce to you the next Presidente of Cuba, Ozzie Guillen.

• Old Gator - Oct 27, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Funny on one level, utterly dishonest on another. Hands down, it was an incomparably stupid thing for someone who was about to manage a team in Macondo to say. On the other hand, anyone who could look at what Ozzie actually said and come away with the impression that he actually “supports” Castro or, in the brain-dead parlance of right wing Macondo Cuban politics, is a communista, really needs to go back and learn how to read again.

• raysfan1 - Oct 27, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I second the “incomparably stupid” part, and thought that his firing was a matter of time from that moment. Beyond that, I never cared what he said really because I have this crazy notion that entertainers’ politics don’t mean much. He’s clearly not anti-American, and that’s enough for me.

4. vincentbojackson - Oct 27, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Sometimes guys who treat everyone like trash their whole career get what’s coming to them. Ozzie is the baseball version of Bobby Knight. Tyrants are tolerated only if they’re winning. When the winning stops their attitude becomes a tired act very quickly.

• sumerduckman - Oct 27, 2012 at 8:43 AM

The chorus to an Allen Toussaint tune come to mind.

Well it’s high time
      That you find
      The same dudes that you use on your way up
      you might meet up ….. on your way down

• stex52 - Oct 27, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Little Feat. Dixie Chicken album. An old favorite of mine.

5. sabatimus - Oct 27, 2012 at 2:30 AM

Williams seems a bit more charitable about this than he was with Frank Thomas.

6. onehokiefan - Oct 29, 2012 at 4:14 PM

He invited Castro over for a drink and they proceeded to hash out the finer points of the Cuban Missile Crisis. Until the booze ran out………. Then it was back to reality (we’re in Miami ?) for OG

Ace-killer Giants do it again