Oct 26, 2012, 5:22 PM EST
After interviewing with the Marlins this week, Mike Redmond said he is ready to step in as Ozzie Guillen’s replacement after two years managing in the Blue Jays system.
“Jim Leyland told me a long time ago when I was getting ready to retire, `If you want to manage in the majors, you’ve got to go get some experience,”‘ Redmond told the AP. “I took that to heart and went out and took a job with the Blue Jays in A ball and got down to the grass roots, where you’ve got to teach and develop.
“I’ve learned a lot. I had a lot of great kids, and to see them improve is very satisfying. On top of that, we went to the playoffs both times. That was fun, too.”
Redmond is the clear favorite for the job, according to MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro. Reds pitching coach Bryan Price reportedly interviewed today. Brad Ausmus declined the opportunity to interview.
Update: FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal is reporting that the Marlins have also interviewed Larry Bowa. They’ll wait until after the World Series to make a decision on their manager.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 6
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 295
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)