Oct 26, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
Today the Royals claimed Volstad off waivers, which is an odd move considering he made $2.66 million this season and would be in line for a similar salary for 2013 via arbitration.
Under the rules of arbitration the Royals could only cut Volstad’s salary by 20 percent, but they could non-tender him and then attempt to re-sign him for less. Of course, they could also have just waited for the Cubs to non-tender him and do the same thing.
Volstad is a 6-foot-8 former first-round pick and showed some promise early in his career, but now he’s 26 years old with a 5.14 ERA in 611 innings since 2009.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (85)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (81)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (75)