Oct 26, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
Today the Royals claimed Volstad off waivers, which is an odd move considering he made $2.66 million this season and would be in line for a similar salary for 2013 via arbitration.
Under the rules of arbitration the Royals could only cut Volstad’s salary by 20 percent, but they could non-tender him and then attempt to re-sign him for less. Of course, they could also have just waited for the Cubs to non-tender him and do the same thing.
Volstad is a 6-foot-8 former first-round pick and showed some promise early in his career, but now he’s 26 years old with a 5.14 ERA in 611 innings since 2009.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)