Steve Phillips the GM would consider hiring Bobby Valentine

Oct 26, 2012, 1:56 PM EDT

Steve Phillips, Bobby Valentine AP

It’s hard to imagine former Mets GM Steve Phillips ever getting another shot to become the general manager of a major league team, but if it happens, he’d consider hiring Bobby Valentine to manage.

“I would consider Bobby to manage again, probably not this year.” Phillips said on WEEI’s Mut & Merloni show. “I think the dust needs to settle. … I think that as time goes by we start to better understand who is responsible for what and stuff that we attach to somebody that might not have been their stuff. The facts become little bit clearer, so I think somewhere down the line I would consider Bobby to manage. I think he’s a brilliant baseball man. I think it has to be the right situation.”

Phillips and Valentine worked together for 5 1/2 years with the Mets before Valentine was fired after the 2002 season. Phillips lasted just a bit longer in New York, getting terminated in June 2003. Phillips is currently hosting a sports radio show on SiriusXM.

1. kevinleaptrot - Oct 26, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Steve Phillips would also consider tapping the first hot young thing that he found in the office too. Don’t see him in anyone’s front office again in this lifetime.

• pjmitch - Oct 26, 2012 at 2:22 PM

First hot thing? When was that a requirement of Steve Phillips?

• bloodysock - Oct 26, 2012 at 2:58 PM

“First hot young thing’ has two too many extra criteria for Steve. ‘First thing’ or ‘any thing’ works equally well.

• butchhuskey - Oct 26, 2012 at 2:55 PM

The girl he had an affair with was not attractive in the slightest (at least physically).

• kevinleaptrot - Oct 26, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Now that you mention it, you’re right. amend previous comment to “first thing with two legs and a heartbeat.”

• xmatt0926x - Oct 26, 2012 at 5:27 PM

I still don’t get that whole thing. I still remember like it was yesterday looking at that pic of him and that girl and swearing that the newspaper accidentally used the wrong picture. That was not a woman worth ruining your reputation over.

2. frenchysplatediscipline - Oct 26, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Of course he would.

Anyone else notice that no one is knocking down his door to hire him for the GM position lately?

I’m sure this foolish interview pushed him right to the top of everyone’s list!

3. edelmanfanclub - Oct 26, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Bobby will never manage again and Phillips will never be a GM again

• sharklady1 - Oct 26, 2012 at 4:40 PM

From your lips to God ears (about Valentine managing, anyway).

4. chill1184 - Oct 26, 2012 at 2:55 PM

There is a reason why this jackass is no longer a GM

5. timpaz - Oct 26, 2012 at 2:58 PM

I think both their futures are in broadcasting.

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3103)