Oct 27, 2012, 11:53 PM EDT
Tigers ace Justin Verlander gave up five runs in four innings against the Giants in Game 1 of the World Series.
That’s as many runs as probable Game 4 starter Max Scherzer has allowed in his last four starts combined. The last time Scherzer allowed five runs in a start was July 30. Including his two postseason outings, he’s 9-2 with a 2.49 ERA and 128 strikeouts in 101 2/3 innings since the All-Star break.
No, none of that makes Scherzer a better pitcher than Verlander. But he’s pretty obviously a better bet on long rest than Verlander would be on three days’ rest in Sunday’s Game 4.
Tigers pitching has been just fine so far. In fact, aside from Verlander and Jose Valverde in Game 1, it’s been great. The team simply needs to score some runs. If Detroit is going to come back from a 3-0 deficit, it has a much better chance of happening with Scherzer, Verlander, Doug Fister and Anibal Sanchez all going on normal or extra rest these next four games than it would with Verlander on short rest, Scherzer and Fister the next two games and then Verlander on short rest again.
So, please, no more Verlander talk. Not until Game 5 anyway.
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 12
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 77
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 29
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 96
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 18
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)