Oct 27, 2012, 11:39 PM EDT
Giants righty Ryan Vogelsong wasn’t especially sharp, allowing five hits and four walks over 5 2/3 innings, but he kept the Tigers scoreless and his bullpen continued that pattern of zeroes as San Francisco won Game 3 of the World Series 2-0 on Saturday in Detroit to take a 3-0 Fall Classic lead.
Tim Lincecum was again dominant in mid-relief, yielding no hits and fanning three in 2 1/3 innings before handing the ball over to Sergio Romo for the save. Lincecum now has a stellar 0.69 ERA and 17 strikeouts in 13 innings as a reliever this postseason.
Tigers starter Anibal Sanchez had one shaky inning but was otherwise good, surrendering only two runs in seven total frames while punching out eight and walking only one. But his offense was of no help.
Miguel Cabrera, the first Triple Crown winner in 45 years and the likely American League MVP, finished 1-for-4 and left three runners on base. He’s batting just .267 with a .765 OPS in these playoffs. Prince Fielder was also listless, going 0-for-4 with two strikeouts while watching his postseason slash line plummet to .188/.250/.250. The big man has just one home run and three RBI since the playoffs began.
In all, the Tigers left 14 runners on base. And they weren’t able to manage a single extra-base hit.
As the Detroit batting order continued to sputter, Giants third baseman Pablo Sandoval padded his World Series MVP case with a double and a single. He’s two hits shy of the all-time postseason hits record, shared by David Freese (2011), Darin Erstad (2002) and Marquis Grissom (1995).
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)