Oct 27, 2012, 9:03 PM EDT
The Giants are 8-1 this postseason when they score first. And they lead here in World Series Game 3.
Hunter Pence drew a walk to open the second inning, stole second base, advanced to third on a wild pitch by Tigers starter Anibal Sanchez, then scored easily when Gregor Blanco smashed a 3-2 breaking ball off the right-center field wall for a triple. Brandon Crawford then drove in Blanco with a base hit that dropped in front of Detroit’s Austin Jackson.
Sanchez had a smooth first inning but has looked pretty shaky since. Perhaps the cold weather is affecting his grip. Giants starter Ryan Vogelsong, meanwhile, has thrown two scoreless frames. San Francisco leads 2-0 as the third inning gets underway.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 16
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (121)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)