Oct 27, 2012, 9:03 PM EDT
The Giants are 8-1 this postseason when they score first. And they lead here in World Series Game 3.
Hunter Pence drew a walk to open the second inning, stole second base, advanced to third on a wild pitch by Tigers starter Anibal Sanchez, then scored easily when Gregor Blanco smashed a 3-2 breaking ball off the right-center field wall for a triple. Brandon Crawford then drove in Blanco with a base hit that dropped in front of Detroit’s Austin Jackson.
Sanchez had a smooth first inning but has looked pretty shaky since. Perhaps the cold weather is affecting his grip. Giants starter Ryan Vogelsong, meanwhile, has thrown two scoreless frames. San Francisco leads 2-0 as the third inning gets underway.
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 0
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 17
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)