Oct 27, 2012, 9:03 PM EST
The Giants are 8-1 this postseason when they score first. And they lead here in World Series Game 3.
Hunter Pence drew a walk to open the second inning, stole second base, advanced to third on a wild pitch by Tigers starter Anibal Sanchez, then scored easily when Gregor Blanco smashed a 3-2 breaking ball off the right-center field wall for a triple. Brandon Crawford then drove in Blanco with a base hit that dropped in front of Detroit’s Austin Jackson.
Sanchez had a smooth first inning but has looked pretty shaky since. Perhaps the cold weather is affecting his grip. Giants starter Ryan Vogelsong, meanwhile, has thrown two scoreless frames. San Francisco leads 2-0 as the third inning gets underway.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 48
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)