Oct 27, 2012, 9:02 AM EDT
Pablo Sandoval homered three times on Wednesday. Anibal Sanchez gets the start tonight. Miguel Cabrera, Avisail Garcia, Omar Infante, Marco Scutaro, Gregor Blanco, Jose Mijares and Hector Sanchez are on rosters. Venezuela is well represented in this World Series.
And someone is very happy about that: Hugo Chavez:
He referred to President Barack Obama as he joked: “I think the next World Series, Obama, you’re going to have to play it here in Venezuela, because it’s Venezuelans all over the place.”
The Venezuelan president praised Giants slugger Pablo Sandoval for hitting three home runs in Game 1.
“What would the major leagues do if Venezuela didn’t exist? They’d get bored,” Chavez said, recalling that the homers hit by “Kung Fu Panda” sailed “to right field, to left field, to center field.”
That’s well and good, but who is he rooting for?
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 12
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 22
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 39
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (164)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)