Mark Grace is probably gonna do time

Oct 27, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT

Mark Grace Mug Shot

Former Diamondbacks announcer Mark Grace was indicted yesterday on four felony counts of aggravated driving or actual physical control while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs. And because it’s his second arrest in a 15 month span, he’s likely to do jail time even if he pleads out:

Authorities said Grace faces between one and 3.75 years in prison on each count, but the sentences would likely be imposed concurrently if he’s convicted because they relate to one incident. Grace, 48, could face less time if he pleads guilty to reduced charges, according to authorities who said he’s not probation eligible because it was his second DUI charge in a 15-month span.

He’s already lost his broadcasting job over this and now he looks destined for time in Sheriff Joe’s tent city.  Bad times for Mark Grace, but he only has himself to blame.

1. raysfan1 - Oct 27, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Maybe this will make him decide he needs help. Hope so for his sake, and for the sake of anyone he might kill on the road if he ever does it again.

2. metalhead65 - Oct 27, 2012 at 2:08 PM

second offense or not if he spends more than the weekends in jail it will be a first for somebody who is well known. hope I am wrong and that there is a first time for everything. but it would be the first time I can remember somebody who is famous or semi-famous who does real time.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Oct 27, 2012 at 3:01 PM

metal, it seems you don’t follow the news very closely. Among the arguably famous people who have done at least a year in jail, are: Robert Downey, Wesley Snipes, Mike Tyson, OJ Simpson, Michael Vick. Plenty of others. And numerous others who served several months, such as Martha Stewart.

• raysfan1 - Oct 27, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Orlando Cepeda, Nate Newton, Rae Carruth, Bruce Kimball, Denny McLain too

• hojo20 - Oct 27, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Plaxico, Mel Hall, etc.

3. willcoop62 - Oct 27, 2012 at 2:18 PM

It’s safe to say he earned it and he needs to wear this. I love Gracie, but this was destined to happen. He did this on a daily basis in Chicago as well.

4. js20011041 - Oct 27, 2012 at 2:24 PM

What a piece of shit. I’m just glad he didn’t hurt anyone.

5. aarontzach - Oct 27, 2012 at 2:24 PM

It looks like somebody needs a good “slumpbuster”.

• Old Gator - Oct 27, 2012 at 3:31 PM

I’m sure he’ll manage to arrange one for himself inside. Have you ever seen some of those allegedly female guards?

• stex52 - Oct 28, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Gotta say, OG, I set foot once inside a maximum security with a ministry group to talk to some inmates. Very little to laugh at in a place like that. It made me very glad that I had decided on a life of the straight-and-narrow; just walking through and seeing was bleak enough. I have no idea where Grace will spend his time. Some county lockup like crazy sheriff joe runs would have to be the best. Those state pens look to me to be something out of your worst nightmare.

6. mississippimusicman - Oct 27, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Oh, hey, that reminds me, how is Randy Travis doing these days?

7. vallewho - Oct 27, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Hope he likes pink

8. skeleteeth - Oct 27, 2012 at 2:50 PM

That’s big league!

9. 13arod - Oct 27, 2012 at 2:53 PM

why do people drink and drive its so stupid and makes you look stupid

10. oldpaddy - Oct 27, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Come on guys, who doesn’t like a cold road soda?

11. kkolchak - Oct 27, 2012 at 3:43 PM

A guy I used to work with got two DUIs in a month’s time and came within mere inches of causing a fatal wreck…yet he didn’t do jail time. Hopefully, Grace’s example will cause at least a few people to not drink and drive.

• bloodysock - Oct 27, 2012 at 5:30 PM

The guy you worked with probably didn’t get caught in Arizona. They have the toughest DUI laws in the US.

• Old Gator - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Good for Arizona. They also have the ugliest governor in the US – imagine a mummified Kevin Youkilis in a bleached blonde fright wig – so it probably evens out.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 29, 2012 at 12:10 PM

It depends on the state in which you offended Kkolchak.
      In Indiana…two DUI convictions (within in 7 years I think) result in the 2nd one being a felony.

12. mybrunoblog - Oct 27, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Two failed marriages. Two DUI arrests. Now facing some jail time. Maybe being wealthy and famous isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. I have zero pity for Mark Grace even if he is a great guy like everyone says.

13. timpaz - Oct 27, 2012 at 4:21 PM

They should make an example of him and give him the max sentence, He thought he was above the law.

14. tfbuckfutter - Oct 27, 2012 at 4:28 PM

I’ll believe it when I see it.

Hell, Jim Leyritz killed someone and he wasn’t even an especially good player.

15. notdumb - Oct 27, 2012 at 4:45 PM

He has as many DUIs as Hrbek has WS rings now maybe that why hes so ridiculously overrated LOL Compare this guys stats to Hrbeks…

• albertmn - Oct 27, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Whether you are right or wrong, this article isn’t really the place for that argument.

16. thebadguyswon - Oct 27, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Douche

17. gloccamorra - Oct 27, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Somebody should have mentioned the Jack Nicholson solution. Jack didn’t get DUI’s, but he was a terrible driver who got into a lot of fender-benders. Between the insurance premiums and the lawsuits from payday-seeking bent fender owners, his agent calculated that it was cheaper to hire a driver. Now Jack get chauffeured around like he’s not only somebody famous, but important too.

• butchhuskey - Oct 27, 2012 at 6:55 PM

I’ve never understood why someone like Lindsay Lohan, who has millions of dollars and gets in numerous accidents, has never hired a driver. I know if I had that kind of money I would take advantage of the fact that I didn’t have to drive.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 27, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Lindsay Lohan doesn’t have millions of dollars.

Why do you think she’s doing Lifetime movies?

Unreliable cokeheads who don’t work generally don’t invest their money wisely.

18. butchhuskey - Oct 27, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Although I usually believe in second chances, there is really no excuse for drunk driving – it’s the most reckless thing anyone can do. The only positive is that he didn’t kill anyone.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 27, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Umm…..he did have a second chance.

He got a DUI and then after that he got a second DUI.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3403)