Zooey Deschanel to sing the anthem tonight

Oct 27, 2012, 12:02 PM EDT

FOX Broadcasting Company, Twentieth Century FOX Television And FX Post Emmy Party Getty Images

I’m a little out of it on where we stand, collectively, with Zooey Deschanel. I know her cute-quirky-girl-that-everyone-likes thing is over, but I’m not sure if it died a natural death, if those iPhone commercials did it or if it happneed when she got that show on Fox.  But even if she peaked and is now just a normal mid-level star, I still get the sense that she’s supposed to be a thinking-man’s celebrity crush.

I really don’t know, though. I used to know this stuff, but I just don’t anymore.

Anyway, she’s singing the National Anthem tonight before Game 3. I’m sure the fact that she has a Fox sitcom has nothing to do with it.

1. xmatt0926x - Oct 27, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Yeah, her irreverent, quirky girl routine is as dead as the Brian Wilson “hey, look at me! I’m zany with my black beard!” thing. Talk about overexposure. Cute girl, but the act is really getting old. It’s not her fault. These things just get jammed down our throats by tv and movie execs who think we are just so dumb as a society that we will keep sucking this crap down and then ask for more. Ok, maybe 80% of our society is that dumb, but there are some people who have had enough.

• stex52 - Oct 27, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. Perfect for the part. And I liked the movie. Haven’t paid that much attention to her since, so I’m not as worn out on it.

• albertmn - Oct 27, 2012 at 1:07 PM

I was actually disappointed by how she was used in that movie. I thought her character was rather blah, and the movie was strictly okay. I liked her better in Elf and Yes Man.

• paperlions - Oct 27, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Plus….she’s just not a very good actress….she seems to just be herself all the time (not unlike Denzel Washington or Tom Cruise), and who she is just isn’t that interesting. At some point an agent/network needs to realize the ceiling of their asset and tailor the expose for maximum effect rather than maximum exposure.

• sailcat54 - Oct 27, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Hence the gig singing the national anthem at a WS game. It’s an ad for a soon-to-be-forgotten TV show, nothing more.

• joethorntonisclutch - Oct 27, 2012 at 3:19 PM

If the Giants aren’t sick of Brian Wilson, I’m not sick of Zooey Deschanel.

2. goawaydog - Oct 27, 2012 at 12:29 PM

San Francisco and Detroit, two cities with great musical histories and Fox gets to pick who sings the anthems with shameless promotions for their television shows. Bummer, would have loved some Motown, Kid Rock, Eminem, Bob Seger this weekend.

3. cur68 - Oct 27, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Who? (but then I’ve said that for all your anthem singers)

• kiwicricket - Oct 27, 2012 at 1:25 PM

You don’t know what a ‘Zooey Deschanel.’ is? Geeeze man.

• cur68 - Oct 27, 2012 at 2:22 PM

I live under a thick insulating layer of seal blubber. Keeps out the cold and can’t get Fox. Win-win.

• stex52 - Oct 27, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Take a shot at “Hitchhiker’s Guide, Cur, you might enjoy it.

• indaburg - Oct 27, 2012 at 2:50 PM

In case you’re serious and you truly do live buried under some frozen tundra with only seal blubber for warmth, Zooey is probably best known for being Will Farrell’s love interest in Elf. She has a pleasant singing voice with a husky 1940s thing going for her.

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp3UoqOkFJo?rel=0&w=560&h=315%5D

• indaburg - Oct 27, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Ugh. Youtube embedding fail.

• cur68 - Oct 27, 2012 at 6:31 PM

I am serious and don’t knock the power of seal blubber. Not only does it underpin our economy but it is nutritious and makes an excellent lubricant. For all sorts of things. Very useful in a food fight, too.

You seem to be right. Miss Deschanel’s voice is very pleasant. Good range and strong in all of them. Providing she doesn’t wear a hat that could double as a home for a presidential pet OR forget the words, I feel she’ll do a pretty good job. It’ll be cold there today, as I’m sure you’ve noticed. I hope she’ll wrapped up well against the chill. Perhaps I could send her some seal blubber? Oh, and a banana, in case she catches cold or plans to drink a lot. That last would be well worth the viewing, providing she has it on camera.

A Jug of Wine Seal Blubber, a Loaf of Bread Bunch of Bananas–and Thou Beside me singing in the Wilderness

• indaburg - Oct 27, 2012 at 6:53 PM

If only wilderness were paradise now, eh? (Or something like that.)

After reading the health benefits and antioxidant effects of seal blubber, I may have to replace bananas with seal blubber in my hangover preventative, if I could stomach the stuff.

4. prosourcetalk - Oct 27, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Die

5. ditmars1929 - Oct 27, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Craig, your “articles” are insipid enough as it is. Now you’re posting baseball “news” about no-named actresses singing at a game. Zooey Deschanel? Really, who cares, and who comes to this site for that kind of information? Do you have, given your access, any information that actually relates to baseball that a baseball fan would give a damn about? Or were you hired to provide fluff b.s.?

• Craig Calcaterra - Oct 27, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Sorry about that court order making you read this site, dude.

• historiophiliac - Oct 27, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Sweet, snark. The antibiotics must be working!

• paperlions - Oct 27, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Glad you’re not dead….I actually did a quick google search for “Craig Calcaterra dead” this morning when I realized you hadn’t posted in nearly 48 hrs.

6. ditmars1929 - Oct 27, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Oh, very nice. I guess you’ve forgotten about previous posts of mine thanking you for certain information. That’s ok, I’m sure it’s tough to keep up with your fan mail when it is deserved.

Lately, however, you’ve devolved. I can read a headline and know instantly if the article was written by you or not. Cute and smart ass, instead of news breaking. Whatever you like, if that is your function to be a sports gossip columnist. You’re wasting your talents.

• albertmn - Oct 27, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Hey, I can read a headline and know instantly who wrote it to. Of course, that’s because the name is right below the headline….

• cur68 - Oct 27, 2012 at 1:12 PM

This is a blog. A BLOG. Not a news site. It has news in it, but this is subject to the bloggers whimsey. If you want nothing but the news, head over to CNN or whatever. Furthermore I just want to go on the record to say that if Calcaterra, in his hantaviruses induced state, wants to post NOTHING but images of attractive women wearing not very much for the balance of the day then I for one will not criticise but find time to stare at the image, register a “yep, I’d make her very happy”, and then move on to the next comely lass to register my thoughts on her happiness index vis a vis moi.

In fact, after your comment and re-comment, I feel it is incumbent on Craig to take up this idea from here out. C’mon Craig. Be a man.

• paperlions - Oct 27, 2012 at 1:51 PM

May I suggest alleged Verlander GF Kate Upton? She’s baseball related, right?

• cur68 - Oct 27, 2012 at 2:17 PM

That’s a big “Hell Yes”.

• kiwicricket - Oct 27, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Gleeman has a restraining order against him. Pretty sure it would violate some sort of rule.

7. vader3234 - Oct 27, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Someone tied to NBC bad mouthing something from Fox. How shocking! This girl is still hot.

• kellyb9 - Oct 27, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Fox’s coverage of just about everything leaves a lot to be desired…. and I’m sick of Joe Buck being cloned so he can cover 10 different sports.

8. toreup - Oct 27, 2012 at 1:23 PM

She’s actually a very good singer. And certainly easy on the eyes. Did someone actually suggest Eminem? Yikes.

• paperlions - Oct 27, 2012 at 1:52 PM

What she is, is a good singer for an actress, not a good singer for a singer.

• Panda Claus - Oct 27, 2012 at 3:35 PM

She is to good singing as you are to good blogging I’d guess. You make that call.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Oct 27, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Starters: We should never use terms like good or bad in rating things that are obviously completely subjective matters of personal taste such as acting, singing or looks. I have not been overwhelmed by her acting, though I enjoyed her in (500) Days of Summer. I only watched one episode of her sit-com and didn’t care for it. BUT, I really enjoy her singing, both solo and with She & Him, a lot. And I find her very attractive.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Oct 27, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Just watched her sing the anthem. Quick review: YUM!!! YUM!!! YUM!!! YUM!!! YUM!!! YUM!!! YUM!!! YUM!!!

9. bhekumuzimguni - Oct 27, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Reblogged this on Bhekumuzi Mguni.

10. 49erjt - Oct 27, 2012 at 2:18 PM

and she’s a giants fan Detroit lets not forget to leave that part out

11. Carl Hancock - Oct 27, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Again? She sang the National Anthem at one of the World Series games I went to in Texas last year. I think it was also Game 3. She must have a thing for Game 3.

12. Bryz - Oct 27, 2012 at 3:11 PM

I don’t mind that she’s singing the National Anthem. What bothers me is that she has ties with FOX, which is basically the only purpose of why she’s doing the Anthem.

13. themanchine - Oct 27, 2012 at 5:16 PM

The only thing that matters is that she tickles my pickle.

14. thebadguyswon - Oct 27, 2012 at 6:14 PM

I’d eat it.

15. wingsrule12 - Oct 27, 2012 at 7:02 PM

That is the last straw. Not only do we have the listen to the two morons on the broadcast overhype Fox shows. But we have to listen to Fox performers do the national anthems. Bullish•t I am no longer going to watch the World Series. Thanks Fox for ruining baseball for me.

16. blabidibla - Oct 27, 2012 at 8:00 PM

She sang the national anthem before game 5 of the NLCS in 2010 as well. Did a decent job of it too.

How about instead of hating before the fact we listen and then rip her to shreds for a bad performance if she delivers one?

17. butchhuskey - Oct 27, 2012 at 8:09 PM

You know how some women are very pretty and attractive to most people but just don’t “do it” for you? That’s the case with myself and Zooey Deschanel – I understand why people are attracted to her but I’ve never really had a crush on her.

18. vincentbojackson - Oct 27, 2012 at 10:24 PM

She jumped the shark in the iPhone commercial when she ordered tomato soup delivered to her house then asked Siri, “Is that rain?”

Who orders soup for delivery and can’t determine precipitation while looking out the window?

19. lazlosother - Oct 27, 2012 at 10:44 PM

I don’t much give a crap about her show (never seen it), or any commercials she may have made for a fruit company. But I watched elf, heard her sing and definitely noticed she is cute. Zooey does it for me. Unfortunately I’m old, crabby and out of touch, so I doubt I’d do it for her.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet