Oct 28, 2012, 4:20 PM EDT
Avila was struck on the wrist by a foul tip while catching in Game 1 out in San Francisco and has recorded just one hit since. Gerald Laird will start in his place against Giants right-hander Matt Cain.
Avila, 25, batted .243/.352/.384 with nine home runs and 48 RBI in 116 games during the regular season. Laird, 32, hit .282/.337/.374 with two home runs and 11 RBI in 63 games as his backup.
The Tigers are trying to avoid a sweep. Game 4 is scheduled to get underway just after 8 p.m. ET.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 23
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)