Oct 28, 2012, 4:20 PM EST
Avila was struck on the wrist by a foul tip while catching in Game 1 out in San Francisco and has recorded just one hit since. Gerald Laird will start in his place against Giants right-hander Matt Cain.
Avila, 25, batted .243/.352/.384 with nine home runs and 48 RBI in 116 games during the regular season. Laird, 32, hit .282/.337/.374 with two home runs and 11 RBI in 63 games as his backup.
The Tigers are trying to avoid a sweep. Game 4 is scheduled to get underway just after 8 p.m. ET.
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 18
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 30
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 81
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)