Oct 28, 2012, 4:20 PM EDT
Avila was struck on the wrist by a foul tip while catching in Game 1 out in San Francisco and has recorded just one hit since. Gerald Laird will start in his place against Giants right-hander Matt Cain.
Avila, 25, batted .243/.352/.384 with nine home runs and 48 RBI in 116 games during the regular season. Laird, 32, hit .282/.337/.374 with two home runs and 11 RBI in 63 games as his backup.
The Tigers are trying to avoid a sweep. Game 4 is scheduled to get underway just after 8 p.m. ET.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 10
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 36
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)