Oct 28, 2012, 4:20 PM EDT
Avila was struck on the wrist by a foul tip while catching in Game 1 out in San Francisco and has recorded just one hit since. Gerald Laird will start in his place against Giants right-hander Matt Cain.
Avila, 25, batted .243/.352/.384 with nine home runs and 48 RBI in 116 games during the regular season. Laird, 32, hit .282/.337/.374 with two home runs and 11 RBI in 63 games as his backup.
The Tigers are trying to avoid a sweep. Game 4 is scheduled to get underway just after 8 p.m. ET.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 0
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 14
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 17
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 58
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 73
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (217)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)