Blue Jays’ search for new skipper a “tightly held secret”

Oct 28, 2012, 2:23 PM EDT

blue jays logo

Shi Davidi of Canada’s Sportsnet says the Blue Jays’ search for a new manager is being treated as a “tightly held secret.” But there are some hints.

Dodgers third base coach Tim Wallach is expected to interview, as are Orioles third base coach DeMarlo Hale, Indians bench coach Sandy Alomar Jr. and Blue Jays third base coach Brian Butterfield.

Brad Ausmus, a rising star who interviewed for the opening in Boston, is not in the running because the Jays want someone with past coaching experience. Ausmus has been working as a special assistant in the Padres’ front office since hanging up his cleats.

The job in Toronto opened up earlier this month when John Farrell was traded to the Red Sox.

1. okwhitefalcon - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:34 PM

What aspiring young candidate wouldn’t be totally excited at the opportunity to manage Colby Rasmus?

The Jays will obviously have their pick of the litter based solely on the above.

2. proudlycanadian - Oct 28, 2012 at 2:51 PM

The Jays wanted to interview Wallach 2 years ago, but were denied permission to do so. Alomar and Hale were considered to be finalists when the Jays signed Farrell. Among current Blue Jay coaches, Butterfield and Wakamatsu are in the mix. Wakamatsu has indicated an interest in the job, and Blue Jay special assistant Roberto Alomar is lobbying for his brother. As far as the secrecy comment, AA does not do business the same way as the leaky Sox. He likes to operate in private.

3. vallewho - Oct 28, 2012 at 3:00 PM

so it’s neither tight nor a secret…

• proudlycanadian - Oct 28, 2012 at 3:19 PM

The Jays will not leak anything about who they are interviewing. 2 Years ago, the leaks coming out about whom the Jays were interviewing did not come from the Jays; however, there were plenty of leaks coming out of Boston about what the Jays were doing. Individual candidates, their agents and their current team might leak info, but, the Jays will try to keep the Red Sox out of the loop, which works against Hale as he has Boston connections.

• dondada10 - Oct 28, 2012 at 3:28 PM

reminds me of a girl I knew in college.

4. sophiethegreatdane - Oct 28, 2012 at 3:04 PM

I hear they’re interested in the Red Sox’s manager.

• proudlycanadian - Oct 28, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Privately, the Jays are very pissed off at the way the Red Sox do business.

• nolasoxfan2012 - Oct 28, 2012 at 5:34 PM

If it’s private, how do you know?

• proudlycanadian - Oct 28, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Did you listen to AA comment about the Sox? He was very polite in what he said about the Sox management, but clearly indicated that he was upset about the “gamesmanship” and leaks.

• bozosforall - Oct 29, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Ignore the crybaby Red Sux fan, proudlycanadian.

5. cur68 - Oct 28, 2012 at 4:18 PM

May I register my vote for Sandy Alomar, Jr? Right now I’m thinking my boys need someone who’s hungry for the job, not someone who got the managers gig first try out of the gate and really wanted to be elsewhere. Alomar wants to manage. Through his brother, he has a connection to the team. He’s been passed over before by other clubs. He is, by all accounts, a good guy, a sound baseball guy and as a player and coach, was known for his leadership. If it isn’t Jr then I’ll be happy enough with Wakamatsu and I guess I could learn to like Butterfield as managers. They have that team connection & seem to be decent guys and can cheerlead with the best of them. I have my hesitations as to if they have that Alomar magic (the personality required to lead: Sandy Alomar Jr always seemed to have that) but I doubt they’ll bail on my boys because they want some other gig.

6. thesmedman - Oct 28, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Alomar Jr,, Wallach, Butterfield are excellent choices. Pete Mackanin should be considered, too. I still think Larry Bowa is a smart baseball guy who should be considered.

7. bozosforall - Oct 29, 2012 at 1:23 AM

No doubt that the Jays will be better off with anyone besides that loser who Boston got stuck with.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5401)