Oct 28, 2012, 3:37 PM EDT
Melky Cabrera‘s impending free agency should be rather interesting. The 28-year-old outfielder posted a spectacular .346/.390/.516 slash line with 11 homers and 60 RBI in 113 games this season for the Giants, but that was before he got busted for PED use and then tried to dupe MLB authorities by funding the construction of a fake supplement website.
The general consensus is that Cabrera will have to settle for a one-year “prove it” deal to reestablish his value in the league. Now it’s a matter of finding out which teams will be open to giving him a shot.
Joel Sherman of the New York Post spoke with several major league executives who guessed that the Mets and Phillies will be in the running this winter. There’s also a belief that the Giants might try to re-sign Cabrera because Angel Pagan is set to hit the open market and could command something hefty.
The Yankees can probably be ruled out because Melky won’t want to be a part-time player.
Cabrera, a native of the Dominican Republic, owns a .284/.338/.414 career batting line.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 88
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 15
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 35
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 40
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 350
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (351)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (190)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)