Oct 28, 2012, 11:37 PM EST
UPDATE: Anthony McCarron of the New York Daily News reports that Infante suffered a non-displaced fracture of the fifth metacarpal of his left hand. The injury will not require surgery.
11:37 PM: If the Tigers are going to try to make the Giants sweat in this series, they will likely have to do it without Omar Infante.
Infante was forced to exit Game 4 of the World Series tonight after he was hit in the left hand by a pitch in the ninth inning. He was in severe pain and immediately walked off the field, so this certainly had the looks of a potentially serious injury. Danny Worth replaced him on the basepaths and began the top of the 10th inning at second base.
According to Jaymee Sire of CSNBayArea.com, the media was getting kicked out of the tunnel as Infante was being sent for X-rays. The 30-year-old is hitting .300 (15-for-50) this postseason and provides steady defense at second base, so losing him would be a tough blow.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)