Oct 28, 2012, 11:37 PM EDT
UPDATE: Anthony McCarron of the New York Daily News reports that Infante suffered a non-displaced fracture of the fifth metacarpal of his left hand. The injury will not require surgery.
11:37 PM: If the Tigers are going to try to make the Giants sweat in this series, they will likely have to do it without Omar Infante.
Infante was forced to exit Game 4 of the World Series tonight after he was hit in the left hand by a pitch in the ninth inning. He was in severe pain and immediately walked off the field, so this certainly had the looks of a potentially serious injury. Danny Worth replaced him on the basepaths and began the top of the 10th inning at second base.
According to Jaymee Sire of CSNBayArea.com, the media was getting kicked out of the tunnel as Infante was being sent for X-rays. The 30-year-old is hitting .300 (15-for-50) this postseason and provides steady defense at second base, so losing him would be a tough blow.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (121)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (81)
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million