Oct 28, 2012, 11:37 PM EDT
UPDATE: Anthony McCarron of the New York Daily News reports that Infante suffered a non-displaced fracture of the fifth metacarpal of his left hand. The injury will not require surgery.
11:37 PM: If the Tigers are going to try to make the Giants sweat in this series, they will likely have to do it without Omar Infante.
Infante was forced to exit Game 4 of the World Series tonight after he was hit in the left hand by a pitch in the ninth inning. He was in severe pain and immediately walked off the field, so this certainly had the looks of a potentially serious injury. Danny Worth replaced him on the basepaths and began the top of the 10th inning at second base.
According to Jaymee Sire of CSNBayArea.com, the media was getting kicked out of the tunnel as Infante was being sent for X-rays. The 30-year-old is hitting .300 (15-for-50) this postseason and provides steady defense at second base, so losing him would be a tough blow.
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 50
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 26
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)