Oct 28, 2012, 11:37 PM EDT
UPDATE: Anthony McCarron of the New York Daily News reports that Infante suffered a non-displaced fracture of the fifth metacarpal of his left hand. The injury will not require surgery.
11:37 PM: If the Tigers are going to try to make the Giants sweat in this series, they will likely have to do it without Omar Infante.
Infante was forced to exit Game 4 of the World Series tonight after he was hit in the left hand by a pitch in the ninth inning. He was in severe pain and immediately walked off the field, so this certainly had the looks of a potentially serious injury. Danny Worth replaced him on the basepaths and began the top of the 10th inning at second base.
According to Jaymee Sire of CSNBayArea.com, the media was getting kicked out of the tunnel as Infante was being sent for X-rays. The 30-year-old is hitting .300 (15-for-50) this postseason and provides steady defense at second base, so losing him would be a tough blow.
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 0
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 104
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 35
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 31
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 97
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 70
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)