Oct 29, 2012, 7:04 PM EDT
We heard last month that the Angels were likely to decline their club options on Dan Haren and Ervin Santana in order to focus their efforts on signing impending free agent Zack Greinke, but things could get interesting in the next couple of days.
According to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com, the Angels are currently exploring potential trades for Haren and Santana. The Angels have until Wednesday to decide whether to pick up their options for next season, so they don’t have a lot of time to find a match.
Haren’s option is worth $15.5 million and includes a $3.5 million buyout. Meanwhile, Santana’s option is worth $13 million and carries a $1 million buyout.
Haren was bothered by a back injury this season and posted a 4.33 ERA in 30 starts while showing decreased velocity, but a team could be willing to take the one-year gamble via trade rather than sign him to a multi-year contract as a free agent. The 32-year-old right-hander can block trades to 12 clubs. Finding a taker for Santana might prove more difficult after he posted a 5.16 ERA over 30 starts this season and allowed a major-league high 39 homers in 178 innings.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)