Oct 29, 2012, 10:23 PM EDT
Bartolo Colon managed to avoid any fractures when he was hit in the head by a liner while pitching for Aguilas Cibaenas on Sunday, but he did need six stitches to close the cut above his chin.
Here’s the video:
Colon was making his second winter league start in the Dominican Republic when he was drilled by a Marcell Ozuna liner. He was immediately transported to the hospital, but he checked out OK, according to the Eagles.
The 39-year-old Colon could use an impressive winter ball campaign if he expects to receive more than token offers from major league teams as a free agent this winter. He was 10-9 with a 3.43 ERA last season before a positive PED test resulted in a 50-game suspension in August.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 75
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)