Oct 29, 2012, 10:23 PM EST
Bartolo Colon managed to avoid any fractures when he was hit in the head by a liner while pitching for Aguilas Cibaenas on Sunday, but he did need six stitches to close the cut above his chin.
Here’s the video:
Colon was making his second winter league start in the Dominican Republic when he was drilled by a Marcell Ozuna liner. He was immediately transported to the hospital, but he checked out OK, according to the Eagles.
The 39-year-old Colon could use an impressive winter ball campaign if he expects to receive more than token offers from major league teams as a free agent this winter. He was 10-9 with a 3.43 ERA last season before a positive PED test resulted in a 50-game suspension in August.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 12
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 32
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 103
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 45
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (107)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)