Oct 29, 2012, 5:55 PM EDT
Turning the page on 2012, the Dodgers declined their options on outfielder Juan Rivera ($4 million, $500,000 buyout), Todd Coffey ($2.5 million, $300,000 buyout) and Matt Treanor ($950,000, $150,000 buyout) for 2013.
All three were easy calls.
Rivera, unsurprisingly, was a waste of $4 million for the Dodgers. He hit just .244/.286/.375 in 312 at-bats last season while typically starting at first base or in left field against left-handed pitching. Now 34, he might not be in line for anything more than a minor league deal this winter.
Coffey had a 4.66 ERA in 19 1/3 innings before going down with elbow soreness and requiring Tommy John surgery. He figures to miss at least the first two months of next season, so he’s another in line for a minor league contract.
Treanor hit .175/.281/.282 in 103 at-bats as the backup to A.J. Ellis. Now that the Dodgers have gone from bargain hunters to big spenders, they’ll be looking for a backup with a bit more pop this winter.
- Mike Trout hits for cycle in Angels’ rout of Mariners 5
- Kevin Gausman will make Orioles debut on Thursday 4
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 21
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 116
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (104)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car