Oct 29, 2012, 5:55 PM EDT
Turning the page on 2012, the Dodgers declined their options on outfielder Juan Rivera ($4 million, $500,000 buyout), Todd Coffey ($2.5 million, $300,000 buyout) and Matt Treanor ($950,000, $150,000 buyout) for 2013.
All three were easy calls.
Rivera, unsurprisingly, was a waste of $4 million for the Dodgers. He hit just .244/.286/.375 in 312 at-bats last season while typically starting at first base or in left field against left-handed pitching. Now 34, he might not be in line for anything more than a minor league deal this winter.
Coffey had a 4.66 ERA in 19 1/3 innings before going down with elbow soreness and requiring Tommy John surgery. He figures to miss at least the first two months of next season, so he’s another in line for a minor league contract.
Treanor hit .175/.281/.282 in 103 at-bats as the backup to A.J. Ellis. Now that the Dodgers have gone from bargain hunters to big spenders, they’ll be looking for a backup with a bit more pop this winter.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 8
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 99
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (99)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)