Oct 29, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
The season is over and the hot stove is upon us. It used to be we had to wait a while until players filed for and then signed in free agency. It doesn’t work that way anymore.
Guys whose contracts have expired immediately become free agents after the season ends (i.e. last night) and signings can begin after a short, five-day team exclusivity period. That ends on Saturday at 12:01 AM, which means you should stay up late on Friday night to see the dominoes start falling.
As for those dominoes: there are 137 of them. You can read the full list at the MLBPA page. A ton of those are subject to team or player options that will be exercised between now and midnight Friday, but they are all players who, theoretically, could switch teams.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 34
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 19
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)