Oct 29, 2012, 2:00 PM EST
The season is over and the hot stove is upon us. It used to be we had to wait a while until players filed for and then signed in free agency. It doesn’t work that way anymore.
Guys whose contracts have expired immediately become free agents after the season ends (i.e. last night) and signings can begin after a short, five-day team exclusivity period. That ends on Saturday at 12:01 AM, which means you should stay up late on Friday night to see the dominoes start falling.
As for those dominoes: there are 137 of them. You can read the full list at the MLBPA page. A ton of those are subject to team or player options that will be exercised between now and midnight Friday, but they are all players who, theoretically, could switch teams.
- Keith Law Ranks the Farm Systems: Yay for Chicago! Boo for Detroit! 14
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 153
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 33
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (155)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)