Oct 29, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
The season is over and the hot stove is upon us. It used to be we had to wait a while until players filed for and then signed in free agency. It doesn’t work that way anymore.
Guys whose contracts have expired immediately become free agents after the season ends (i.e. last night) and signings can begin after a short, five-day team exclusivity period. That ends on Saturday at 12:01 AM, which means you should stay up late on Friday night to see the dominoes start falling.
As for those dominoes: there are 137 of them. You can read the full list at the MLBPA page. A ton of those are subject to team or player options that will be exercised between now and midnight Friday, but they are all players who, theoretically, could switch teams.
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 6
- Cliff Lee exits start with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 11
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 133
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)