Oct 29, 2012, 12:00 AM EDT
The Giants are your 2012 World Series champions.
The Giants topped the Tigers 4-3 in 10 innings tonight at Comerica Park in Detroit to finish off a four-game World Series sweep. This is the Giants’ second World Series title in the past three seasons and the seventh in franchise history.
Game 4 was a back-and-forth affair, including go-ahead two-run homers from Buster Posey and Miguel Cabrera and a game-tying solo blast from Delmon Young. The Giants ultimately took the lead in the top of the 10th inning after Marco Scutaro punched a two-out single in front of Austin Jackson in center field to score Ryan Theriot. Sergio Romo struck out the side in the bottom of the 10th to finish off the victory, freezing Triple Crown winner Miguel Cabrera for the final out.
The Giants are the first team to sweep the World Series since the Red Sox finished off the Rockies in four games in 2007. They are the first National League team to sweep the World Series since the Reds defeated the Athletics in 1990.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)