Oct 29, 2012, 12:00 AM EDT
The Giants are your 2012 World Series champions.
The Giants topped the Tigers 4-3 in 10 innings tonight at Comerica Park in Detroit to finish off a four-game World Series sweep. This is the Giants’ second World Series title in the past three seasons and the seventh in franchise history.
Game 4 was a back-and-forth affair, including go-ahead two-run homers from Buster Posey and Miguel Cabrera and a game-tying solo blast from Delmon Young. The Giants ultimately took the lead in the top of the 10th inning after Marco Scutaro punched a two-out single in front of Austin Jackson in center field to score Ryan Theriot. Sergio Romo struck out the side in the bottom of the 10th to finish off the victory, freezing Triple Crown winner Miguel Cabrera for the final out.
The Giants are the first team to sweep the World Series since the Red Sox finished off the Rockies in four games in 2007. They are the first National League team to sweep the World Series since the Reds defeated the Athletics in 1990.
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 38
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 61
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)