Oct 29, 2012, 12:00 AM EDT
The Giants are your 2012 World Series champions.
The Giants topped the Tigers 4-3 in 10 innings tonight at Comerica Park in Detroit to finish off a four-game World Series sweep. This is the Giants’ second World Series title in the past three seasons and the seventh in franchise history.
Game 4 was a back-and-forth affair, including go-ahead two-run homers from Buster Posey and Miguel Cabrera and a game-tying solo blast from Delmon Young. The Giants ultimately took the lead in the top of the 10th inning after Marco Scutaro punched a two-out single in front of Austin Jackson in center field to score Ryan Theriot. Sergio Romo struck out the side in the bottom of the 10th to finish off the victory, freezing Triple Crown winner Miguel Cabrera for the final out.
The Giants are the first team to sweep the World Series since the Red Sox finished off the Rockies in four games in 2007. They are the first National League team to sweep the World Series since the Reds defeated the Athletics in 1990.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 4
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 30
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 5
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 12
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 101
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)