Oct 29, 2012, 12:00 AM EST
The Giants are your 2012 World Series champions.
The Giants topped the Tigers 4-3 in 10 innings tonight at Comerica Park in Detroit to finish off a four-game World Series sweep. This is the Giants’ second World Series title in the past three seasons and the seventh in franchise history.
Game 4 was a back-and-forth affair, including go-ahead two-run homers from Buster Posey and Miguel Cabrera and a game-tying solo blast from Delmon Young. The Giants ultimately took the lead in the top of the 10th inning after Marco Scutaro punched a two-out single in front of Austin Jackson in center field to score Ryan Theriot. Sergio Romo struck out the side in the bottom of the 10th to finish off the victory, freezing Triple Crown winner Miguel Cabrera for the final out.
The Giants are the first team to sweep the World Series since the Red Sox finished off the Rockies in four games in 2007. They are the first National League team to sweep the World Series since the Reds defeated the Athletics in 1990.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 69
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (85)