Oct 29, 2012, 12:00 AM EST
The Giants are your 2012 World Series champions.
The Giants topped the Tigers 4-3 in 10 innings tonight at Comerica Park in Detroit to finish off a four-game World Series sweep. This is the Giants’ second World Series title in the past three seasons and the seventh in franchise history.
Game 4 was a back-and-forth affair, including go-ahead two-run homers from Buster Posey and Miguel Cabrera and a game-tying solo blast from Delmon Young. The Giants ultimately took the lead in the top of the 10th inning after Marco Scutaro punched a two-out single in front of Austin Jackson in center field to score Ryan Theriot. Sergio Romo struck out the side in the bottom of the 10th to finish off the victory, freezing Triple Crown winner Miguel Cabrera for the final out.
The Giants are the first team to sweep the World Series since the Red Sox finished off the Rockies in four games in 2007. They are the first National League team to sweep the World Series since the Reds defeated the Athletics in 1990.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)