Gold Glove finalists announced

Oct 29, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT

gold glove

I stopped caring about the Gold Glove awards sometime between designated hitter Rafael Palmeiro winning one as a “first baseman” and Derek Jeter winning five as a “shortstop” but MLB has announced three (or four) finalists per league at each position and here they are:

(Note: Coaches and managers vote for the Gold Glove award and the winners will be announced tomorrow night.)

American League:

3B – Chase Headley, Aramis Ramirez, David Wright
SS – Zack Cozart, Ian Desmond, Jose Reyes, Jimmy Rollins
LF – Ryan Braun, Carlos Gonzalez, Martin Prado
CF – Michael Bourn, Andrew McCutchen, Drew Stubbs
RF – Jay Bruce, Andre Ethier, Jason Heyward
P – Bronson Arroyo, Mark Buehrle, Clayton Kershaw

Commence arguing, I guess.

1. youjivinmeturkey - Oct 29, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Jon Jay from The Cardinals deserves to be a finalist. He played a wonderful CF this season, but we all knew he wouldn’t get nominated because he’s relatively unknown to most people. But he deserved a nomination at the very least :(

• bsbiz - Oct 29, 2012 at 1:29 PM

I’m sure he did get nominated. Along with the other 15 primary center fielders in the National League. These are the finalists.

• sir1389 - Oct 29, 2012 at 1:36 PM

I agree. Jon Jay was the only non-pitcher player in the NL to finish the season with a perfect 1.000 fielding percentage. His range factor is also greater than McClutchen and Stubbs and tied with Bourne for the second best in the NL. How you don’t include someone with those stat lines for Gold Glove seems confusing. The only reason I can think of for leaving him off is he only played in 116 games this season.

• thereisaparty - Oct 29, 2012 at 1:47 PM

FWIW, Tango’s fan scouting report has Jay at 61 (1-100, avg is 50, std dev is 20)

• hermitfool - Oct 29, 2012 at 2:23 PM

The dude has a weak throwing arm.

• metalhead65 - Oct 30, 2012 at 7:39 AM

nobody has a better ranger than stubbs. he may not be able to hit but his defense is second to none. just because jay plays the edmonds defense all cards fielders subcribe to,ie play shallow then dive after balls they would have caught easily had they played were they should have to begin with does not make them the best. may look good on sports center but they do not deserve a gold glove because of that,maybe a emmy for acting but not the gold glove.

• sir1389 - Oct 30, 2012 at 11:43 AM

You are completely ignoring the facts/stats.

• gosport474 - Oct 29, 2012 at 2:06 PM

As a Red’s fan, I agree, Drew Stubbs is vastly overrated for defense, does not go back or come in on flies particularly well. And Jay is very good, I actually enjoy watching him play. I know it doesn’t make any difference because Molina will get the Gold Glove, but I think Ryan Hanigan deserved at least to be a finalist.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 29, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Big fan of Ryan Hanigan’s game. Alwasy have been.

• redbirdfan81 - Oct 29, 2012 at 10:50 PM

You’re exactly right! He was as good as Jimmy Edmonds at times this year. His time will come, it should just be sooner.

2. Marty - Oct 29, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Is Brandon Crawford’s game not up to snuff?

• SOBEIT - Oct 29, 2012 at 1:37 PM

He’s a rookie…very hard to get one. Plus he stared off terribly with the glove. But that was the 1st half of the year…keep an eye on him for next year now that the rest of the country found out about him after his impressive post season play.

• kardshark1 - Oct 29, 2012 at 2:08 PM

He’s not a rookie, but whatever.

3. aceinthehole12 - Oct 29, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Hoping my boy Josh Reddick gets the hardware ! He was huge for us in RF this year.

4. rhmurphy - Oct 29, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Dustin Ackley?

5. historiophiliac - Oct 29, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Oh, my fucking god, if Inge is on this list then Miggy was robbed.

/twitching

Oh, and: Yadi!

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 29, 2012 at 2:56 PM

You are raging Philiac. Almost to the point of incoherence.
      Just so we are clear…it is totally understandable. Rough week for you. Even moreso last night.
      Maybe having “both hands full” would help? Hahaha!

• historiophiliac - Oct 29, 2012 at 3:53 PM

My point is that Inge sucks and if he could be nominated, so could Miggy (which I think everyone agrees he should not get — love him and he isn’t super-lousy at 3b but he’s no GG-er at this point). It’s a slam on Inge — not a pro-Miggy thing.

I applaud the Yadi selection though. He’s on my fantasy team.

6. natslady - Oct 29, 2012 at 1:45 PM

I don’t understand why Danny Espinosa got “overlooked” unless they are factoring in offense. Not only did he play a great 2B but he also played SS (more difficult position) when Desi was injured and sometimes switched positions mid-game. Great arm, outstanding range–what more can you ask?

• stex52 - Oct 29, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Your question included your answer. Offense is included, even though it shouldn’t be (in theory). They have the Silver Slugger for that. But I think offense relates to being more recgnizable, which then translates into votes.

I don’t see any absolute defensive travesties on this list, as there have been in the past. But if you can’t hit pretty well you generally won’t be considered.

• natslady - Oct 29, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Yeah, I know. Am a bit of a purist, myself.

• IdahoMariner - Oct 29, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Unless you are Brendan Ryan … Can’t hit, but easily the best defensive shortstop in the league. Glad they noticed.

7. gammagammahey - Oct 29, 2012 at 1:47 PM

No Barmes?

8. natslady - Oct 29, 2012 at 1:49 PM

LaRoche was excellent, he prevented I don’t know how many errors by other fielders. Plus he is not a “robot” (Tim McCarver) and he waved away the pitcher and allowed a pop-bunt to drop for a double play. [That is in reference to McCarver, when Belt didn't drop a pop-bunt, saying the players are not robots and can't think that fast... Um, yes, they can.]

9. groundruledoublebourbon - Oct 29, 2012 at 1:49 PM

The fact that Jeff Francoeur’s name appears as a finalist is an atrocity. Yeah, he’s great at defense, besides the whole running and catching business. I realize he throws guys at, but that doesn’t make up for the amount of runs he gives up due to lack of range/ability.

• mattyflex - Oct 29, 2012 at 2:07 PM

But remember when he bought pizza for the Athletic’s fans two seasons ago?

• groundruledoublebourbon - Oct 29, 2012 at 2:29 PM

*throws guys out

Ha – of course. Intangibles factor in here, remember! Also, intangibles add wins. Think it was all of that outstanding pitching and timely hitting that carried the Giants? Nope — strictly intangibles.

• mattyflex - Oct 29, 2012 at 2:55 PM

From what I understood of the post-game recap last night, the Hunter Pence motivational speaking phenomena was the only driving factor behind the Giants’ remarkable run.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 29, 2012 at 3:00 PM

We know where you stand on Francoeur. Valid point(s) I might add.

Tell us where you stand on Jon “no errors” Jay NOT making the cut?
      Whaddaya’ think?

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 29, 2012 at 3:03 PM

And just so we are clear…
      considering Skip Schumaker is a 4th or 5th Outfielder and Pete Kozma should still be in AA I fully understand neither of these guys are deserving. I mean…I feel like I need to qualify that for you.
      Just talking J.J. here. Again…J.J. only.

• groundruledoublebourbon - Oct 29, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Haha – stl you did well to limit your argument to Jay alone rather than advocate for those other defensive wizards. I don’t watch a ton of Cards games, but saw plenty in the playoffs. Jay seems to be a remarkable outfielder — grace that resembles Edmonds (except, you know, better. Don’t get me started on Jim “run-catch-dive” Edmonds, another beloved Cardinal, I’m aware).

In all seriousness, Jay is plenty athletic and doesn’t waste a step. I got to see him shag batting practice prior to Game 3 of the 2011 World Series in Texas, and it was a pure joy as a baseball fan (can you tell I miss the simple pleasures of the baseball season already?). The lazy comparison is his neighbor to his west in the Cardinal outfield, a young Beltran, but that doesn’t make this comparison wrong. Jay is great, and not just because you can point to his lack of errors.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 29, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Hahaha! Yeah…based upon your post from a few days ago I felt compelled to point that out.
      I actually take pride in trying to NOT be biased. I know that’s hard to believe. But I truly do.
      J.J. has range that is on par with anyone you can mention. Maybe not the best throwing arm.
      But when you have range like he does and consistently hit your cuts…you don’t necessarily need a cannon. Thanks for the input. I wasn’t sure I was going to get it based upon the previous post. LOL!

• thereisaparty - Oct 29, 2012 at 4:00 PM

What is this praise of Jay’s range based off of? The metrics do not show it to be elite. And the most recent FSR has his reaction, acceleration, and velocity at 70, 64, and 68.

10. cur68 - Oct 29, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Well. I went over that list with an eye for who I’d want on my All Gold Glove Team. Overwhelmingly they were NL guys. The only positions where I’d take the AL guys are 3B & CF. The glaring omission of Jeets for GG SS is why I’m not picking AL for that position.

11. mattyflex - Oct 29, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Since everyone else is filing their complaints here, I will add that while Elvis Andrus, J.J. Hardy, and Brendan Ryan are very good defensive shortstops, I don’t view any of them as being that much better than Alcides Escobar. His range is roughly the left side of the infield, and if Chris Getz was playing 2B he had that, too.

12. pmcenroe - Oct 29, 2012 at 2:12 PM

WHERE THE HELL IS DELMON YOUNG?!? I DEMAND A RECOUNT!!

• proudlycanadian - Oct 29, 2012 at 2:31 PM

For some reason, Gold Gloves are not awarded to a DH, otherwise Encarnacion would have been favored over Young.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 29, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Right…unless you are Rafael Palmeiro.

• proudlycanadian - Oct 29, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Good point.

13. stlouis1baseball - Oct 29, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Looking for unbiased opinions. Please research the defense for all NL Centerfielders.
    Check out assists…put outs…range…errors…innings played. Everything.
    Now…why isn’t Jon Jay in the running? Is it innings played? Seriously…looking for an intelligent answer.
    I like Drew Stubbs. Like him a great deal. That in mind…why is Jon Jay not included?
    Again…innings played maybe?

• pmcenroe - Oct 29, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Um.. I dont think players and coaches look at any stats when making selections..

• snowbirdgothic - Oct 29, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Sure they do.

Batting average, RBIs….

• thereisaparty - Oct 29, 2012 at 3:19 PM

I did some research and maybe it is his UZR, DRS, FSR, RangeRuns, RZR …

Jon Jay is an above average defensive CF. He is not elite.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 29, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Thanks for the answer Party. Based upon the research I did…
        Dude stacks up with anyone.
        I would have to say his arm isn’t the greatest…but when you have the range he does…always being seemingly in the right place…you don’t need a hose.

• thereisaparty - Oct 29, 2012 at 3:54 PM

So we should trust your eyes over Range Factor? Or even the Fan Scouting Report? You asked for an unbiased answer. I gave you advanced defensive metrics. But I guess your personal opinion means more

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 29, 2012 at 4:16 PM

“You asked for an unbiased answer. I gave you advanced defensive metrics. But I guess your personal opinion means more.”

Jeesh Dude! No…my personal opinion doesn’t mean more. That is why I asked.
        Hell…I even thanked you for the answer. I just looked up the stats earlier today on MLB’s site.
        Admittedly not the best site for defensive metrics. But that is where I looked.
        If memory serves…there was one guy with an RF (range factor) that was higher.
        In fact, (again if memory serves)…they had J.J. with the same RF as Michael Bourn.

• sir1389 - Oct 29, 2012 at 4:37 PM

As I mentioned above: “His [Jay's] range factor is also greater than McClutchen [2.37] and Stubbs[2.05] and tied with Bourne [2.52] for the second best in the NL.

• metalhead65 - Oct 30, 2012 at 7:47 AM

yea I am going to go with the eye test rather than a bunch of stupid letters telling me who is good. how late do you geeks stay up at night thinking of this nonsense? you can tell who did not make the team when they were kids by who comes up with this crap. I will show them I know more than the guys who actually play the game,I will invent something to show how they are not as good as they look. just sad.

14. rynev - Oct 29, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Michael Young should have been nominated for NL pitchers.

15. smcgaels1997 - Oct 29, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Really not even mention of Brandon Crawford but Jimmy Rollins?? Wow

16. cadillacjosh - Oct 29, 2012 at 6:55 PM

if Miguel Cabrera beats Trouts for a GG now….

17. triaxfusion - Oct 29, 2012 at 8:48 PM

I’m shocked Jon Jay is not a finalist. Dude is elite defensively.

18. skol22 - Oct 29, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Darwin Barney should be the hands down winner for 2nd baseman in the NL. Kid had a great season.

19. airedale1950 - Oct 30, 2012 at 9:23 AM