Oct 29, 2012, 10:03 AM EDT
Scene: New York Post newsroom, bottom of the tenth inning, Game 4 of the World Series.
Editor: He struck Cabrera out! It’s over.
Joel Sherman: Oh well. Season’s over. Good night.
Editor: Wait, where are you going? I need a column on how this relates to the Yankees, and I need it by morning!
Joel Sherman: But … what possible … I mean …
Editor: Do it!
In so many ways Lincecum is Alex Rodriguez: spectacularly rich, successful, famous beyond the contours of a baseball field and even the owner of a catchy nickname. He also lost his job in the postseason … Lincecum has done more with a lesser role while those asked to fill in for a superstar have done so brilliantly … Look, if Rodriguez would have hit in a reduced role or been picked up by those around him, you wouldn’t be reading this sentence. Instead …
I really can’t think of a column with less of a coherent point. If someone can tell me how a benched position player can contribute in the way a pitcher moved into a key bullpen role can, fine, I’ll accept it. But this is not just an apples and oranges comparison. It’s apples and rudimentary lathes.
Folks, it’s not always about the Yankees. Trying to make it so leads to nightmares like this.
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 0
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 24
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)