It’s always about the Yankees

Oct 29, 2012, 10:03 AM EDT

Alex Rodriguez Getty Getty Images

Scene: New York Post newsroom, bottom of the tenth inning, Game 4 of the World Series.

Editor: He struck Cabrera out! It’s over.

Joel Sherman: Oh well. Season’s over. Good night.

Editor: Wait, where are you going? I need a column on how this relates to the Yankees, and I need it by morning!

Joel Sherman: But … what possible … I mean …

Editor: Do it!

In so many ways Lincecum is Alex Rodriguez: spectacularly rich, successful, famous beyond the contours of a baseball field and even the owner of a catchy nickname. He also lost his job in the postseason … Lincecum has done more with a lesser role while those asked to fill in for a superstar have done so brilliantly … Look, if Rodriguez would have hit in a reduced role or been picked up by those around him, you wouldn’t be reading this sentence. Instead …

I really can’t think of a column with less of a coherent point. If someone can tell me how a benched position player can contribute in the way a pitcher moved into a key bullpen role can, fine, I’ll accept it. But this is not just an apples and oranges comparison. It’s apples and rudimentary lathes.

Folks, it’s not always about the Yankees. Trying to make it so leads to nightmares like this.

1. number42is1 - Oct 29, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Since you brought it up…. I would like to thank the Tigers for having a performance worse than that of the 2012 ALCS Yankees.

• darthicarus - Oct 29, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Come to think of it, imagine how much worse the Yankees would’ve looked than the Tigers had they played the Giants.

• number42is1 - Oct 29, 2012 at 10:08 AM

4 no hitters??? yes THAT bad

• vincecully - Oct 29, 2012 at 10:31 AM

They could have lost the series in two games.

2. splintchesthair - Oct 29, 2012 at 10:13 AM

It could be worse…the Chicago Tribune is trolling Cubs fans by claiming Ryan Theriot’s .200 average in the Series made him a “hero.”

• kiwicricket - Oct 29, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Hey! Ryan Theriot is my homie and a proven DH.

• wlschneider09 - Oct 29, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Alls I gots to say is that when Theriot played for the Cards, they won the WS, when he played for the Giants, then won the WS. The man is baseball gold.

3. temporarilyexiled - Oct 29, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Yeah, that 50-year rematch I was hoping for would’ve been pretty bad. But you know it IS about the Yankees. For a media market and fanbase that doesn’t exactly need much of anything as a catalyst for psychotic breaks, imagine this: Your team was just swept, making them look very bad indeed. Then this team everyone calls scrappy kicked the crap out of the team that just piled on your team. Cue mass insanity.

4. stex52 - Oct 29, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Hey, I like New York City. It’s one really great place to visit. And I meet people when I go there that have never left the city, don’t own a car, and really see no reason why they ever should. Good for them.

But at some point you do have to acknowledge that the rest of the world does not live its existence by reference to NYC. That is really tough for them.

New Englanders can be bad that way, too. But no one is quite as insular as the NYC crowd.

• indaburg - Oct 29, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Born and bred there, so I know the insularity first hand. To New Yorkers, there’s the city (always referred to as The City, since there can only be one), California out west somewhere, some vast wasteland of polite people in the middle, and some inbreds in the South. The End.

I read the article (damn you, Craig). Wtf? I didn’t get where Sherman was going with this at all. It’s going to be a long off-season, isn’t it?

• historiophiliac - Oct 29, 2012 at 1:19 PM

This is why I like to annoy my friends in NY by referring to Oklahoma City as “The City.”

• indaburg - Oct 29, 2012 at 2:02 PM

What is this Oklahoma you speak of? You’re making that word up.

How’re you doing today, ‘philiac?

• historiophiliac - Oct 29, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Literally translated it means “land of the red man.” It’s a musical oasis among the polite people of which you speak.

I’m okay today. I was rooting for my team but honestly, I was shocked and pleased we even made the post-season. In August, it didn’t look possible. Also, you know, I’ve lost the big dance before with them…and we had quite a dry spell prior to 2006. I’m used to going on loyalty instead of wins. I was impressed as hell by the Giants (why is it that all I remembered of them from 2010 was Wilson & Lincecum??). It’s never bad to lose to a great team. Now, if we had lost to the Stanks, I would be nursing that (and some whiskey) for some time. Also, we saw some really great baseball generally this year and I had a blast. I’m happy for the Giants and so far I’m not feeling the post-season yet.

Hey, you got a new pic, sister! I dig it.

• indaburg - Oct 29, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Oh, that Oklahoma. I think they may have mentioned it in school a couple of times.

Glad to hear you’re doing ok. Back in 2008, I was catatonic for a couple of weeks. If I wasn’t pregnant at the time, I would have drowned myself in rum. To lose to the Phillies was almost as bad as losing to the Yankees (Yankees-Phillies-Red Sox are my trinity of evil). Your boys just faced an incredibly talented and hot team, and that team did to the Tigers what was done to the Yankees. Nothing to be ashamed of. You probably only remember Lincecum and Wilson because they only have about four or five players left from that 2010 team, all pitchers except for Posey, I think.

Thanks! The old pic is almost 3 years old. I’m camera phobic, but a friend managed to take a halfway decent one. I love your pic btw. It has that femme fatale thing going for it.

• stex52 - Oct 29, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Having said that, I hope they are spared the worst of this coming storm. So much of that city is at low elevation. My thoughts are with them.

• anxovies - Oct 30, 2012 at 1:12 PM

I agree. Big city hicks.

5. sdelmonte - Oct 29, 2012 at 10:55 AM

No, it’s all about the Mets.

Wherein…

If the Giants hadn’t left NYC, Mets fans would be Giants fans instead and cheering on a champion today!

• stex52 - Oct 29, 2012 at 11:14 AM

I don’t thumbs up much about the Mets. But in your case, Sdel, I’ll make an exception. Great basis for an alternative universe story.

• indaburg - Oct 29, 2012 at 12:00 PM

If the Giants had left for St. Pete like they were supposed to do back in 1992, I would be the one celebrating. Alternative universe #2. So there.

6. southpaw2k - Oct 29, 2012 at 11:05 AM

But as we’ve already discussed, the Yankees’ collapse in the ALCS was hardly A-Rod’s fault by himself. Why does Heyman suggest having A-Rod hit in a “reduced” role when Granderson, Cano, and Swisher all failed to hit too? Is he saying that had A-Rod played less, everybody else would have stepped up? That’s complete nonsense.

• Alex K - Oct 29, 2012 at 11:22 AM

A-Rod is history’s greatest monster. Everything is his fault.

• Old Gator - Oct 29, 2012 at 1:38 PM

I agree. A-Roid is definitely one of Lovecraft’s Old Ones. I think he may be Yog_Sothoth with highly developed criollo breath..

7. anxovies - Oct 30, 2012 at 1:13 PM

But Craig, if it’s about baseball it really is all about the Yankees.

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3684)