Jon Heyman and Pat Burrell almost came to blows in a bar?

Oct 29, 2012, 9:39 AM EDT

I was so sick the past few days that I was surprisingly OK with having to cut my World Series trip short. Really, as Games 3 and 4 went down, there was no point — thanks to hacking, aching and stuff — where I thought “damn, I wish I was in Detroit right now.”

Well, there was one point. It was when I read on Deadpsin yesterday that, on Saturday night, Jon Heyman and Pat Burrell allegedly almost came to blows out and about in Detroit someplace. The person making the allegation: Jon Heyman:

source:

Had to be a bit unsettling for Heyman. In person his chosen mode of defense from those who challenge him — pretending they don’t exist — may not work as well as it does on the Internet.

1. js20011041 - Oct 29, 2012 at 9:46 AM

By “came to blows,” don’t you really mean, “Burrell almost pummeled Heyman?”

• pisano - Oct 30, 2012 at 12:34 AM

In reality, if that fight ever happened there would be two hits, one when Rolen hit Heyman, and two when Heyman hit the deck and was Ko’d.

• bigmeechy74 - Oct 31, 2012 at 10:20 AM

First of all that is so unoriginal. Second of all it is burrell, not rolen.

2. redguy12588 - Oct 29, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Any truth to the rumor that he screamed for Scott Boras to save him?

• blacksables - Oct 29, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Boras is still trying to get Burrell signed to a 4-year, $57 milllion contract. An unknow team has actually bid higher, but Boras is willing to make a deal.

• jackbenny1 - Oct 29, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Burrel can still hit … if he just upps the ‘roids with Sandoroid, Scutaroida and the other Jints when they hit the WS…

3. mrfloydpink - Oct 29, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Unnamed sources report that Jon Heyman is a sixth-degree black belt in judo, and would have wiped the floor with Pat Burrell. The same sources suggest that Kyle Lohse is worth at least $85 million over six years.

4. thebadguyswon - Oct 29, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Too bad..would have loved to hear that Burrell dusted him.

5. dondada10 - Oct 29, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Would’ve been the biggest hit Burrell has had in years.

• bigleagues - Oct 29, 2012 at 1:07 PM

There are not two more loathsome people in baseball, but I probably would have been happy if Burrell dropped him – mainly because unlike Heyman, we’re not likely to hear from Burrell again until the next barroom incident.

6. mazblast - Oct 29, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Why didn’t Heyman protect himself with that bat he holds in that ridiculous picture of himself?

7. tfbuckfutter - Oct 29, 2012 at 10:03 AM

I think Heyman might have had a shot.

He’s scrappy and gritty. Fights with a lot of heart.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 29, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Also he is decidedly more clutch than Burrell.

• pisano - Oct 30, 2012 at 12:36 AM

The only shot Heyman would have had would have been going into a coma.

8. kiwicricket - Oct 29, 2012 at 10:05 AM

You have got to evaluate your life and social output when you’re 50 and thanking people over ‘twitter’ for helping you not get into a bar fight with someone famous.

9. kiwicricket - Oct 29, 2012 at 10:13 AM

A poll of unnamed sources suggests that 98% of people surveyed would of loved for Burrell to have atomic wedgied Heyman at the bar.

10. chew1985 - Oct 29, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Burrell is only accustomed to hits from women so maybe Heyman could have caught him by surprise…in any event I’m glad to know that Pat is making something of his life by hanging out in Motor City bars.

11. daisycutter1 - Oct 29, 2012 at 10:26 AM

My money would be on The Gimp.

• kiwicricket - Oct 29, 2012 at 10:59 AM

That would of been sexual assault.

12. sportsland33 - Oct 29, 2012 at 10:32 AM

I know you generally have to be a card-carrying Heyman hater to post here, but it really seems like this is right up Burrell’s alley. Plenty of stories out there about PTB getting drunk and trying to be somebody.
    As far as Craig being butt-hurt about Jon ignoring him on Twitter, he certainly isn’t the first member of the media to block an obnoxious critic.

• drunkenhooliganism - Oct 29, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Do you pronounce your name HEY-man or is it more like HI-man

13. willclarkgameface - Oct 29, 2012 at 10:35 AM

I mean, who doesn’t want to smack Jon Heyman around a little bit? I’m tired of his ilk in all sports, these know-it-all reporter types that just want to stir the pot for the sake of stirring it up.

Between him, Ken Rosenthal, and Tom Verducci, I don’t know who is worse.

• skids003 - Oct 30, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Mike Lupica.

14. phalatek6 - Oct 29, 2012 at 11:23 AM

I don’t use the twitter, but can someone decode who he was talking about/thanking in his tweet? Aside from Millar, that is. I picked that one up.

Then, after you tell me, I will thank you in code.

• seeinred87 - Oct 29, 2012 at 12:54 PM

It would appear that the other 2 mentioned in the tweet aren’t really notable. MRTeevs is some guy named Mike Teevan, and he has 69 followers.

15. jerze2387 - Oct 29, 2012 at 11:48 AM

PTB woulda swung and missed 3 times, then sat back down.

16. crisisjunky - Oct 29, 2012 at 12:47 PM

All stemming from a simple misunderstanding on The Bat’s part, chasing a particularly provocative ensemble around the bar, before looking up , and to his mortification, realizing who was wearing it.
    @JonHeymanCBS was killin’ it in those heels.

17. snowbirdgothic - Oct 29, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Pedro Gomez has never denied instigating that fight.

18. markcycy - Oct 31, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Burrell was probalbly hitting on his girl

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3357)