Phil Coke: “The game of baseball just kicked me in the butt”

Oct 29, 2012, 2:30 PM EST

Phil Coke had a great, raw and honest interview after last night’s game.  It’s really hard not to like this guy after seeing this:

Notably, he puts no stock in the “too much time off” thing. Justin Verlander said last night that it may have affected some guys.  It’s pretty academic right now, I’d say.

1. catswithbats - Oct 29, 2012 at 2:58 PM

I love Phil Coke.

• polegojim - Oct 29, 2012 at 10:59 PM

How refreshingly awesome without many of the typical cliche’s.

Great Season Tigers – Detroit Thanks You!

2. Old Gator - Oct 29, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Considering that he got lowered into Valverde’s crater at the last minute, in the most pressurized situation imaginable, Coke did a terrific job. This kid will definitely be back.

3. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Oct 29, 2012 at 3:03 PM

His story about Miguel Cabrera on deadspin is also a classic:

• indaburg - Oct 29, 2012 at 3:09 PM

I saw that on Intentional Talk when it originally aired and I had to pause the interview to stop laughing. I’ve been trying to find an online link to it so thanks for posting, COPO.

Coke has those nebulous, unquantifiable charecteristics known as heart and grit. This interview after yesterday’s loss broke my baseball heart.

• cur68 - Oct 29, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Couldn’t barely watch poor old Phil Coke and his broken heart. Jeez.

However his deadspin description of Miggy’s recollection of the time they faced each other? Ha! Phil Coke, you sir are a stud. I bet that 3-2 breaking ball from the “horsecrap pitcher” was low and inside (like pretty much every pitch Miggy swung at and missed in the WS). Thanks for the link COPO.

4. thomas2727 - Oct 29, 2012 at 3:12 PM

I am a Giants fan and all I can say about the Coke interview is WOW!.

That was raw and from his heart. He is the type of guy I want on a team I root for.

Had to be surreal for him to be pitching against the team he rooted for when he was growing up.

5. stlouis1baseball - Oct 29, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Big fan of Phil Coke.
    Way to step up and give heartfelt answers in what has to be the worse possible time for him personally.

6. diehardcubbiefan4life - Oct 29, 2012 at 3:57 PM

That came from the heart. Wow.

7. philliesblow - Oct 29, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Coke needs a new agent. They are missing a huge marketing opportunity by him wearing # 40. He should be Coke 0.

8. Marty - Oct 29, 2012 at 6:25 PM

I respect that, but come on. This wasn’t blowing a lead in game 7.. It was game 4,
    and if Coke didn’t blow it someone in that pen surely would have.

9. historiophiliac - Oct 29, 2012 at 7:38 PM

BTW, did Miggy talk to the press last night?

10. yahmule - Oct 29, 2012 at 9:48 PM

I became a Phil Coke fan when he made the choice to use his status as a pro athlete to speak out against bullying. Such a simple thing to do and so few are willing to do it.

11. brewcrewfan54 - Oct 30, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Great interview. He’s certainly not the first player to own his part of a lost game. And maybe I’m forgetting a lot bit it seems recently the superstars seem to get out before the press gets there and leave the loser talk to the lesser players. Dicks, and not surprised by it.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3229)
  2. J. Kang (3080)
  3. C. McGehee (2804)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2775)
  5. J. Upton (2765)