Oct 29, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Among the biggest no-brainer decisions of the offseason, as the 33-year-old Ruiz is coming off a career-year in which he hit .325 with 16 homers and a .935 OPS in 114 games. He’d previously never reached double-digit homers or topped an .850 OPS.
Ruiz will be eligible for free agency after 2013, so it’ll be interesting to see if the Phillies try to keep him off the open market with an extension. On one hand he’s been hugely valuable and a key part of Philadelphia’s success over the years. On the other hand he’s already 33 years old and the career-year means his asking price may never have been higher.
In the meantime he’s a helluva bargain for 2013.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)