Oct 29, 2012, 7:46 PM EDT
Vladimir Guerrero, who sat out most of the 2012 season after not finding any offers to his liking in free agency, will play winter ball in his native Dominican Republic.
The popular Licey Tigers announced that he’d join the team on Nov. 4.
Guerrero signed a minor league deal with the Blue Jays in May, only to ask for his release the next month when the team still wasn’t ready to call him up. He went 9-for-20 with four homers in four games for Single-A Dunedin and 10-for-11 with no homers in eight games for Triple-A Las Vegas.
If you believe his listed age, Vladdy is still only 37. Still, he can no longer play the field regularly and he doesn’t offer a whole lot of power from the DH spot. If he wants to give MLB another shot in 2013, he’ll probably have to take a minor league deal that would leave him with a modest salary even if he did make the team. That’s not something he was interested in doing a year ago.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 19
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 25
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 136
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (136)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)