Oct 29, 2012, 7:46 PM EDT
Vladimir Guerrero, who sat out most of the 2012 season after not finding any offers to his liking in free agency, will play winter ball in his native Dominican Republic.
The popular Licey Tigers announced that he’d join the team on Nov. 4.
Guerrero signed a minor league deal with the Blue Jays in May, only to ask for his release the next month when the team still wasn’t ready to call him up. He went 9-for-20 with four homers in four games for Single-A Dunedin and 10-for-11 with no homers in eight games for Triple-A Las Vegas.
If you believe his listed age, Vladdy is still only 37. Still, he can no longer play the field regularly and he doesn’t offer a whole lot of power from the DH spot. If he wants to give MLB another shot in 2013, he’ll probably have to take a minor league deal that would leave him with a modest salary even if he did make the team. That’s not something he was interested in doing a year ago.
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 2
- Alex Cobb confirmed to have elbow ligament tear 11
- Royals expected to get closer Greg Holland back tomorrow 3
- Madison Bumgarner threw his fastest pitch since 2010 9
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 7
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 27
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 18
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (98)
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs (96)