Oct 29, 2012, 7:46 PM EDT
Vladimir Guerrero, who sat out most of the 2012 season after not finding any offers to his liking in free agency, will play winter ball in his native Dominican Republic.
The popular Licey Tigers announced that he’d join the team on Nov. 4.
Guerrero signed a minor league deal with the Blue Jays in May, only to ask for his release the next month when the team still wasn’t ready to call him up. He went 9-for-20 with four homers in four games for Single-A Dunedin and 10-for-11 with no homers in eight games for Triple-A Las Vegas.
If you believe his listed age, Vladdy is still only 37. Still, he can no longer play the field regularly and he doesn’t offer a whole lot of power from the DH spot. If he wants to give MLB another shot in 2013, he’ll probably have to take a minor league deal that would leave him with a modest salary even if he did make the team. That’s not something he was interested in doing a year ago.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)